Discuss what is the law on PPE in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

david campbell

HSE makes it your responsibilty to wear it mate and enforce others to wear it,if anything happens and you haven't got it on then theres no comeback.......it's your fault

G

Gazzer

deffo Hard hat, High viz, safety boots ( and some sites insist on boots with ankle support). Depending on th esite yuou may need ear protection, eye protection and hand protection even if it is only latex gloves to protect from contamination from cement products.

D

Deleted member 9966

so basically, you have to wear whatever PPE you deem suitable for the job. it's your responsibility as a self employed person or employer.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I am not certain there is any specific requirement for PPE in law. It is the responsibility of the employee to take reasonable precaustions for their health and safety on site based on risk assesment of the tasks in question. It is the responsibility of the employer to ensure that Risk assesments are carried out and that PPE is provided for such tasks as are considered appropriate for example if you work in a task which holds a risk that something might fall on your head you mitigate the risk of this happening first of all by trying to remove the risk altogether such as making the area where the risk is happening a no go area for non essential people. If the risk cannot be eliminated then risk management would dictate that you wear a hard hat. It would usually be your contractual obligation to abide by your employers reasonable requests to use appropriate PPE. In practice this means no hat no vest no boots no job.

Many sites allow Roofers to dispense with hats because from a practical point of view the wearing of the hat presents a greater risk cos the blooming things keep falling off.

The usual minimum in terms of site standards are hard hat high viz and safety boots. My company insists on Eye protection and gloves as well.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
And of course I wish I could type faster......... :)

D

Deleted member 9966

got glasses' ,hat,vise,boot's, gloves, my lad said something about ear-plugg's is this wright!! you cant hear anything ie DANGER!! will robinson

dave, if you did some research on the net, you would find out what decibel level is unsuitable for work environments. you only need to wear ear plugs when you are working in a noisy environment for a sustained length of time - i.e. is your tile cutter in a small room and you're taking more than 10 minutes to cut a tile?? if so, wear plugs.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I guess if it seems sensible to wear ear plugs then it probably is. I personally hate them and they make my ears really sore if I wear them for a long period so I prefer to wear ear defenders. There is guidance in law I beleive on what constitutes an unacceptable noise level. Can't remember what it is but think anything over 90dB you mst provide hearing protection. Not sure how night clubs get away with it cos they actually charge people to come into their clubs to be deafened.

Reaction score
well starting new job on monday !!and these site agent all seem to have there own! perversion's that they like!! i would like to wear none of it, just me work cloth's i have more trouble wearing this stuff than not!!still need's -must

Reply to what is the law on PPE in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks