Search the forum,

Discuss what is the law on PPE in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Different companies ( main contractors ) have different PPE requirements, above the usual boots and viz, if you have to walk through the construction area you 'may' have to wear your hard hat, some insist on gloves at ALL times, regardless ( which I've shown to be a hazard a couple of times ) It should be explained upon your induction to site, even different sites under the same management can have different PPE requirements, as for ear protection, if it's so loud ( consistently )that I have to wear them above and beyond cutting my tiles, I won't work in the area.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The main thing is the Risk Assessment here I think. As Ajax said :thumbsup:, it's you as an employee of yourself and/or others that has to be responsible for the health and safety of you and/or your staff. There is a lot of info online (Liz linked to a bit of it :thumbsup:) on this. Generally large companies if they haven't got internal advisers on this then they'd seek external advice when it comes to the risk assessment but then have somebody responsible for managing that. Though a small company, especially self-employed are always responsible themselves directly of everything, obviously.

So I'd say if the terms to work on a site is to carry out crazy tasks such as wearing wellies instead of toe-caped boots, wearing a harness attached to a secure point when on the second step of a ladder, is what you need to do to get paid. Do it, but factor the extra time and expense in your pricing.

On site, unless you run it, there will always be guidelines (or strict rules more like) given to you. Though on domestics or jobs where you're the one sticking the invoice in, you need to make sure you, anybody you employ, and in some strange cases those you even sub other parts of the job to you could actually be responsible for.

There are a lot of firms out there that can provide more accurate advice on this, and I'm only saying this as this is your health and safety here. :thumbsup: So please do take all the advice given as a general view from those within the trade. :D

D

Deleted member 9966

yes it seem's mad that we have to conform to all this BS, when you look around at everyday worker's it's a right laugh!!nobody els's is doing it!!

everyday workers like whom Dave? People who work in offices? they don't have to wear PPE cos there's not many unsafe places inside airconditioned offices (unless of course the offices are still in the process of being built or renovated).

however, I work for a chemicals manufacturing plant and if you're out on the plant minimum you have to wear Hi Vis jacket, hard hat, safety glasses and steel toe capped boots. So when I have a meeting with workers out on the plant, I go all kitted out just to walk to the other side of the plant.

so, still want to stick with your view that nobody else is doing it??

:smilewinkgrin:

D

Deleted member 9966

Oh and if you don't want to conform to the site requirements by wearing the required safety equipment, then don't do the job. some times you just have to accept that that is the way it has to be.

G

Gazzer

yes it seem's mad that we have to conform to all this BS, when you look around at everyday worker's it's a right laugh!!nobody els's is doing it!!

Name those workers that are not doing it ? Are you talking of site workers ? Or general people in employment. Stop kicking up such a fuss and get on with it. Hearing protection is for your own benefit. Eye protection is for your own benefit, Safety boots are for your own benefit. The various cleansing products in site toilets are for your own benefit. etc etc yada yada !
If you want these jobs you need to adhere to site regs, if not , stop the bitching and grow potatoes on an allotment....with appropriate safety gear of course.
All this moaning will not change the facts about PPE

Reaction score
everyday workers like whom Dave? People who work in offices? they don't have to wear PPE cos there's not many unsafe places inside airconditioned offices (unless of course the offices are still in the process of being built or renovated).
however, I work for a chemicals manufacturing plant and if you're out on the plant minimum you have to wear Hi Vis jacket, hard hat, safety glasses and steel toe capped boots. So when I have a meeting with workers out on the plant, I go all kitted out just to walk to the other side of the plant.
so, still want to stick with your view that nobody else is doing it??
:smilewinkgrin:
worker's on lots of smaller site's to start!! i've been on loads that don't give a monkey's,about ppe ,or lot's of other safty-stuff either!! so who is enforcing this stuff !! and that's before all the worker's like window cleaners,and every other job in life you can think about
also ppe and all this H & S is mainly on the sites being run by Big name companys and they seem to me to use it as more of a power ie site management OVER trades thing!! ,then in my experience they will drop it if the situation suit's them and say, oh just do it!! lol anyway i'am allowed to have a moan about this stuff it's a forum, liz / rem , and at the end of the day i always conform to what the site want's , and yes DAVID i'am cscs, apart from from making convo on here each site is diffrent as alan said and i was just making sure that i had everthing in the van,as you end up paying through the nose for it at a local building merchants, the SS were only following order's!! we need to question anyone ordering us to do anything guy's :prrr:

D

DHTiling

Feel better now.. It is good to blow off some steam..
MSN-Emoticon-154.gif

Now have a tinny and relax..
MSN-Emoticon-beer-086.gif

G

Gazzer

Gooner, There are speed limits on the road in ths country. If you exceed those limits you stand to get caught and fined...do you agree ?
H&S is in force on all sites not just the large sites, I know one small builder that got caught not once but 3 times for breaking H&S regs. None of the sub contractors got fined but the main contractor did.
So if you break those rules then expect to get caught at some point, I really cant see your argument, this is about safety and your own well being and your fellow workers.
I have noticed recently you have had to fill in forms for working with contractors, so i take it yo are aiming to get in with bigger companies. take your thoughts to them, lets see where it gets you, I guess it will be back home twiddling your thumbs.
Its a small price to pay to wear safety gear for your own protection.
Now I do have a small gripe about one certain company that insists that all High Viz jackets have to have their company name on....no problem you would think except they want you to buy one from them.

O

Olz

You just need to look at the RSS Feeds Section of this forum for the feeds from Contractors Compare to find countless examples of what can happen if the H&S is not adhered to, that said just because the rules are supposed to be followed doesnt mean they are, and no doubt the site manager and H&S rep will think its ok to break or not enforce the rules, until it goes to pot and they find themselves paying massive fines and or compensation payments.

I would think that the insurance co's would also have it in the policy terms that h&s must be adhered to and if its not then they wont pay out.

Have a look at the RSS Feeds Section for loads of examples of it going pear shaped... RSS Feeds

Reaction score
Its a small price to pay to wear safety gear for your own protection.yes NEALE i do understand all of it totally and you will not meet anyone as concerned with there own and others safety as me!!,and also i know you don't bite the hand that feeds you!!! but as i said you still have to put up resistance to this BS or they will have us all running around in there own clothing that we will have to buy off of them for every contractor you work for so that they get maximum advertising rights!! and then the loony's will have taken over the asylum mate!! :hurray::hurray::hurray: no Dicky's and desighner tiling clothes here!!! ever!!!:cool3::cool3::cool3:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
On the sites i used to work on you were informed at the induction as to any h&s requirements and then if you got caught not following these rules, you got fired.

Reaction score
we are nominated contractor's , so the builders are working with us as it is , not us working for them!! so they cant really sack us mate!!, but they have control of the site so we are under there rules as to working on site !! but they have no control over the swimming pool tech-speci

Reply to what is the law on PPE in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen