Search the forum,

Discuss Wetroom construction in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Duchard

Hello, ok I have read alot of different views over them past few months on wetrooms and it seems to me that there is no golden rule here. Just make sure your walls , floor, are all waterproof... hmm.

Well this is my scenario:

I am now on the second part of my house extension and I'm on the new ground floor bathroom (prevously kitchen). I have had an exterior wall part knocked through for entry to the new side build which will be my new wetroom. Ths consists of a concrete floor (not yet screeded) which is 187cm x 127cm. The change in depth to this floor from existing is 13cm (inc tiles). I have just bought the Impey Aqua grade unit (1050x1500) to go in before I screed the floor. This should give me a consistent tidy slope for my drain. A drain has already been constructed under the sub floor at time of build. This is using a standard waste pipe.

So my dilemmas now are what to use to build the wetroom. Do I need a membrane like the Dura over the screed? Shall I plaster the entire wetroom with normal board and tank the lot or go for aqua panels with waterproof taping? Do I go for the Tilux solution? Does the floor need any further treatment? If I have already got a standard waste pipe in the ground how would the Impey gulley fit into this? Can it be just screeded into place when I do the floor?

I have uploaded some photos to help illustrate what the wetroom (will) look like.

Any help appreciated, cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_6102.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_6103.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_6104.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_6105.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 118
W

wetdec

Hello, ok I have read alot of different views over them past few months on wetrooms and it seems to me that there is no golden rule here. Just make sure your walls , floor, are all waterproof... YEP

Well this is my scenario:

I have just bought the Impey Aqua grade unit (1050x1500) to go in before I screed the floor. This should give me a consistent tidy slope for my drain. A drain has already been constructed under the sub floor at time of build.

So my dilemmas now are what to use to build the wetroom. Do I need a membrane like the Dura over the screed? It will be new screed so Dura-ci over the top to counteract latteral movement in the concrete which in turn protects your tiles.

Shall I plaster the entire wetroom with normal board and tank the lot or go for aqua panels with waterproof taping? As its a closed in area (cubicle like) I would recomend tanking over 12.5mm plaster board with Dura-wp to ceiling height.

Does the floor need any further treatment? None providing it is dry when you pegin, screed - Dura-ci - adhesive - tiles.

If I have already got a standard waste pipe in the ground how would the Impey gulley fit into this? Can it be just screeded into place when I do the floor? Presumably the waste is also 48mm so you should be able to tap straight in

I have uploaded some photos to help illustrate what the wetroom (will) look like.

Any help appreciated, cheers.

There you go :thumbsup:

D

Duchard

Thanks for your advise wetdecs. I will look into purchasing the membrane and tanking kit from you soon. :thumbsup:

Is it really necessary to tank the entire area considering that my walls go up to over 3 metres on one side? Could I get away with tanking up to 1.5metres? I cant see how much / any water would make contact above this height.

My existing waste is 10cm in diamater and bends towards the inspection drain under the subfloor. I'm not sure which drainage type I am getting with the Impey system (purchased on ebay) but now looking at this will I need to use a tiled floor horizontal gulley, if I am to tile and not use Vinyl?

Does anyone know what the differences are in terms of vinyl and tile gulleys? Is it to do with the thickness?

D

david campbell

i would tank the entire wet room,if it was a normal bathroom then i would only tank the shower/bath areas

W

wetdec

Thanks for your advise wetdecs. I will look into purchasing the membrane and tanking kit from you soon. :thumbsup:

Is it really necessary to tank the entire area considering that my walls go up to over 3 metres on one side? Could I get away with tanking up to 1.5metres? I cant see how much / any water would make contact above this height. As its enclosed I was being safe as lot of steam and wet in there 1.8 would need to be the minimum

My existing waste is 10cm in diamater and bends towards the inspection drain under the subfloor. I'm not sure which drainage type I am getting with the Impey system (purchased on ebay) but now looking at this will I need to use a tiled floor horizontal gulley, if I am to tile and not use Vinyl? This system is to go up on the site soon, I can tell you little about it atm except that its not as popular as was expected, my feeling is this is due to price compared to a former

Does anyone know what the differences are in terms of vinyl and tile gulleys? Is it to do with the thickness? A proper gulley for tiling will have a thread height adjuster so you can raise the grating to the required height bringing it level with tiles

Above :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Duchard

So by tanking the entire area I would also need to tile the entire area up to 3.1metres from the ground. Seems a little excessive considering my shower position will be half way down this height.

My existing bath shower upstairs has no tanking and theoretically that only goes up to the height of my bath. The tiled walls around it are just pasted straight to the plaster and I have had no issues in the years of its use.

I know a wetroom is different in that there's no tray and I intend to use a membrane to prevent future crack issues in the floor, but surely the walls are no different over a standard bath size when it comes to actually taking a shower? It all seems a bit excssive to me..

Last edited by a moderator:
D

david campbell

the scenario is that if a gap appears anywere between grout/in the silicone etc then it will prevent the water reaching the substrate causing dampness then causing more problems,if this scenario did happen then the dampness could quickly move without you knowing and the next step would probably be tiles coming off!

either way it's down to yourself but i would rather go overkill in my prep and make sure the job lasts forever rather than take chances and maybe having to re-do it again in a few years:thumbsup:

D

diamondtiling

I agree with Dave, the right prep is essential in a wetroom, it might seem excessive but its there to prevent future problems.

:thumbsup:

Reply to Wetroom construction in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views
Hi, A newcomer here and thank you to anyone with the patience to read my drivel. I am...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen