Discuss Victorian Minton Tiles Grout Removal in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi all. Looking for some expert help now I have some time on my hands during lockdown. I took up the Victorian Minton tiles on my hallway a few years ago during a renovation as everything was uneven and needed relayed. I managed to recover around 80% of them which I now plan to use in another Victorian property. I have managed to clean them quite easily using vinegar, swarfega and cif.

However, removing the grout stuck on the sides is harder work (if not impossible on some). I have just been trying to scrape it off with old knives. There must be a better way? Your help would be greatly appreciated on any solutions as to what would take off the grout or enable me to remove it easier.

I have attached a few before and after pics of a few of the tiles I have managed to completely restore.

Thank you!
Gordon

Attachments

• F09E88EA-A0AE-4634-8430-01467AC2D6D6.jpeg
    67.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 8782B173-422C-4034-A072-C7F9B872C9EE.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 13
P

Perfect Tiling

If the grout wont just chip off....I'd be inclined to get a cheap watercooled tile cutter and run the tile through it to cut the grout off. Real victorian tiles are usually the same material all the way through so theres no surface finish, print or glaze to damage and your'e not actually going to be cutting into the tile. I had a job a while back and had to lift some old tiles.....grout was stuck same as with yours so I ran them through my machine and they were ready to lay again in no time at all.....although I have a proper machine with a sliding table rather than a cheaper DIY model....good luck

Reaction score
If the grout wont just chip off....I'd be inclined to get a cheap watercooled tile cutter and run the tile through it to cut the grout off. Real victorian tiles are usually the same material all the way through so theres no surface finish, print or glaze to damage and your'e not actually going to be cutting into the tile. I had a job a while back and had to lift some old tiles.....grout was stuck same as with yours so I ran them through my machine and they were ready to lay again in no time at all.....although I have a proper machine with a sliding table rather than a cheaper DIY model....good luck
Thanks very much for the reply. Yeah I think that’s going to be the only way. What I’m wondering is if that will work even on the small fidly triangle tiles. What machine are you using if you don’t mind me asking? I don’t mind getting an expensive one to get the job done right. Thanks vm. Gordon

Reply to Victorian Minton Tiles Grout Removal in the Tile Cleaning and Restoration Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks