Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Vertical mosiacs feature in Porcelain brick pattern in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
All,

I have 600mm by 300mm porcelain tiles for the shower area. The girlfriend wants a vertical line of glass mosiac tiles 302mm by 302mm as a feature in the centre of the shower (shower head and valves to be mounted on mosiacs; which will bring more problems I'm sure... but anyways!).

The main porcelain tiles she wants as a staggered brick pattern. I have the plan laid out on a sheet of paper but am struggling with knowing where to start and what order to do things in.

I was planning on having the porcelain meet the mosiacs, with just a grout line, rather than introduce tile trim but this may depend on how good I can get the cuts. I previously did the floor and used a wet cutter but the finish was not very good with lots of small chips on the cut edge; this however was not a problem as they are cuts not on show. Since then I bought a Sigma tile cutter to do the cuts for the shower former and they finish was great, so am hoping I will get the same clean finish on the wall tiles, (although they are different tiles and contoured). Is this a viable way of creating this mosiac border or should I be thinking of additional trim?

Next questions are where do I start, how do I go about maintaining the right mosiac gap and how do I keep the field tiles vertically level. Because it's a shower the walls are tanked so don't want to affix a vertical batten.

Any advice or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Daz

O

Old Mod

Post your proposed plan here, then someone can more easily guide you.
We’ll only be guessing until we see what you have in mind.
[automerge]1581372692[/automerge]
Please include all walls including dimensions.

OP
D
Reaction score
OK. Not the easiest to see, but this is what we have so far.

Vertical strip represents the 302mm square mosiacs that will have the shower centred on them. There is also another horizontal border but ignore that for now. That needs to be moved further up.

Appreciate any advice on the questions in the first post.

Thanks!

IMG_20200211_170645.jpg

Reaction score
Personally I would either stick with a vertical border (which never looks that great breaking a staggered brick bond layout) or go with a horizontal border. I think the two borders combined with the staff brick bond will look like too much going on.

However should you wish to proceed with that layout then I would do the field tiles first and leave a gap for the mosaics, I usually cut a piece of tile to size allowing for the grout joints and use that to make sure the gap stays consistent. If you get the first row dead level and keep the cuts at 90 degrees where the mosaics are going then the border should stay vertical.. just a case of constantly checking with a level. Most tiles should score and snap quite cleanly so no need to insert extra trims between the field tiles and mosaics. Can see you posted this over a week ago so you may already have started the work. Cheers

Reply to Vertical mosiacs feature in Porcelain brick pattern in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock