Search the forum,

Discuss Urgent help - tile trim problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bugs183

You could get a cabinet maker to make a hardwood threshold strip to cover the cuts, if you cant hide it make a feature of it.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you sure he's a tiler?

It's the first thing we learn - to set out so you end up with NO tiles/cuts going from 5mm to 30mm. Especially around a feature wall such as one with patio doors.

That aside - as above, you perhaps need to use a uPVC strip there. 30mm isn't a big strip when it comes to uPVC and if they're good with a silicone gun they can make it look quite smart and part of the door frame etc so it wouldn't be noticeable at all.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
I think your standard D or shamfered trim is 25mm (but you can get bigger mouldings). Any DIY or uPVC supplier will have it. Pick the style that goes with your doors. Cut and glue it into place and finish off with a matching silicone.
Failling that a nice wooden window board fitted in the reveal of the door might work. Creating a footplate type area?

Pictures would help to pick the best/most suited finish.

P

Peter

Are you sure he's a tiler?

It's the first thing we learn - to set out so you end up with NO tiles/cuts going from 5mm to 30mm. Especially around a feature wall such as one with patio doors.

That aside - as above, you perhaps need to use a uPVC strip there. 30mm isn't a big strip when it comes to uPVC and if they're good with a silicone gun they can make it look quite smart and part of the door frame etc so it wouldn't be noticeable at all.

It's always nice but every so often you can get a room that just doesn't set out the way you want and you have to compromise somewhere to get a well balanced floor everywhere else. If the 30mm is going to throw your whole floor off elsewhere then sometimes it's a necessary evil, especially if the offending wall is out of square with the rest of the room.

B

bugs183

You're right Wingn. I tiled a garage floor last week, the garage was lovely and square apart from the wall with the garage door, it was 60mm out, and the trim had to follow the doorline. there was no way you could tilt the floor to one side as you'd have thought you were drunk as you tried to park!

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Spud

we all make mistakes form time to time and experience gives you the answers to the problems ,My guess is that the doors are in a recess, get the tiler to take up the tiles in front on the doors,strike a line from the two walls either side of the door recess ,cut the tiles along this line then you have whats called a closing cut, you can then fill the area in front of the doors with a larger cut it will look far better than plastic trim

Reply to Urgent help - tile trim problem in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen