Discuss Urgent help - tile trim problem in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

Jas007

our tiler has left a 30mm gap on front of the french doors after completing the marble floor tiling. please can anyone advice an idea to get around this issue?. The french door is 2.4m wide and have mouldings in three places along the door joints. the trims i found on the internet are not wide enough. Should I use pvc facias similar to ones used for double glazing or fill gap with grout or other similar colour adhesive. Please advice. Or point me to good websites or shops.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

three choices here get the tiler back to finnish with a cut . get a piece of trim from the window company to fill the gap .or look at trims from trimline see if you like one they go up to 50 mm

J

Jas007

Thanks for the quick responses... The tiler is still there but he is asking me how i want it finished. Also, the gap narrows down from 30mm down to about 5mm along length so will stick out if using tile cuts. Tiles are marble 600 x 400 x 12mm I will look at trimline or think about plastic strip. Any other suggestions, please?

M

Martino

Yep it would look a sore tiling it from 30mm to 5 mm.....i would fill the gap with ahdesive to the same level as the tile and probs stick some 50mm wide plastic down to match the doors...its eaasy enough to cut to match any mouldings that are in the way.

T

Time's Ran Out

He should have set the floor out so it was 30 - 5mm off a full tile!
Get him to take the lot up and do it again:lol: - I jest.

J

Jas007

To be fair the french door recess is out of square. from hall into lounge tiling is very square. Aditionally, because kids or wind tend to slam the door and silicone is cracking at top. So will og for adhesive then a trim/plastic. Anything else? I'm not going to strart again!!

P

Perry

Yes but should of checked his cuts but we have all made a bobo from time to he should be come up with some idea that is acceptable it would be costly for him other wise

B

bugs183

You could get a cabinet maker to make a hardwood threshold strip to cover the cuts, if you cant hide it make a feature of it.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you sure he's a tiler?

It's the first thing we learn - to set out so you end up with NO tiles/cuts going from 5mm to 30mm. Especially around a feature wall such as one with patio doors.

That aside - as above, you perhaps need to use a uPVC strip there. 30mm isn't a big strip when it comes to uPVC and if they're good with a silicone gun they can make it look quite smart and part of the door frame etc so it wouldn't be noticeable at all.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
I think your standard D or shamfered trim is 25mm (but you can get bigger mouldings). Any DIY or uPVC supplier will have it. Pick the style that goes with your doors. Cut and glue it into place and finish off with a matching silicone.
Failling that a nice wooden window board fitted in the reveal of the door might work. Creating a footplate type area?

Pictures would help to pick the best/most suited finish.

Reply to Urgent help - tile trim problem in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks