Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Urgent help - tile trim problem in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

Peter

Are you sure he's a tiler?

It's the first thing we learn - to set out so you end up with NO tiles/cuts going from 5mm to 30mm. Especially around a feature wall such as one with patio doors.

That aside - as above, you perhaps need to use a uPVC strip there. 30mm isn't a big strip when it comes to uPVC and if they're good with a silicone gun they can make it look quite smart and part of the door frame etc so it wouldn't be noticeable at all.

It's always nice but every so often you can get a room that just doesn't set out the way you want and you have to compromise somewhere to get a well balanced floor everywhere else. If the 30mm is going to throw your whole floor off elsewhere then sometimes it's a necessary evil, especially if the offending wall is out of square with the rest of the room.

B

bugs183

You're right Wingn. I tiled a garage floor last week, the garage was lovely and square apart from the wall with the garage door, it was 60mm out, and the trim had to follow the doorline. there was no way you could tilt the floor to one side as you'd have thought you were drunk as you tried to park!

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Spud

we all make mistakes form time to time and experience gives you the answers to the problems ,My guess is that the doors are in a recess, get the tiler to take up the tiles in front on the doors,strike a line from the two walls either side of the door recess ,cut the tiles along this line then you have whats called a closing cut, you can then fill the area in front of the doors with a larger cut it will look far better than plastic trim

J

Jas007

thanks for the great ideas guys. Haven't posted pictures because last run of tiles not laid yet but we know it's going from 30mm to 5mm. My wife got a 45mm strip today in white PVC to match doors. Will it stickout or should i get a smaller one say 30mm? Or will 45mm upvc strip look ok?

J

Jas007

Gary i wouldn't have thought of that in a million years!! Great advice. Do i butt upto door frame? Am a little worried about vibrations of slaming doors might crack or dislodge tiles. Or should i leave few mm gap which will make a dirt trap!? The frame is chamfered at bottom where the tiles would touch. Am trying to upload some images later tonight.

C

Colour Republic

Gary is spot on with his advise and i hate those PVC trims with a passion even if the doors are made of it, no point spending all that money on marble then hanging furry dice in the window.

Your tiler should be advising you on how to finish it and vibrations are not a problem if an expansion gap is left of say 4mm then sealed with silicone rather than grout. (you should be able to get a coloured silicone the same as the grout, so shouldn't be that noticable anyway)

J

Jas007

Gravesham-20120810-00030.jpg Gravesham-20120810-00029.jpg Gravesham-20120810-00028.jpg Gravesham-20120810-00027.jpg Gravesham-20120810-00026.jpg Gravesham-20120810-00025.jpg

P

Protilers

I must admit I would not use PVC trim......it will move etc.....but whats the problem with a 30-----------5mm rake cut......when the door frame is out?........and everything else is good........I could get that off perfectly.......
and I know Gary can too!!!!!!.............if its a corner in a room near a door, and the door is offset to ther rest of the room.......why not just put in the rakes?......you will only notice them as the tiling is going on..........

Reply to Urgent help - tile trim problem in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks