Search the forum,

Discuss Turning down jobs ? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jollyroger

Just read a post re walking away from jobs due to crap preparation and was wondering how many jobs you guys turn down. I walked away from a job a couple of months back. The guy was a prison warder and he wanted a price for tiling his full kitchen. He wanted the job done in 2 weeks time, was getting a mate in to skim coat all the walls with plaster and wanted me to tile it the day after the plasterer was done. The timber floor was like a trampoline and when I told him I would only tile it if I could do all the preparation myself, he said, Its ok i will do it myself cos he got a week off work and would board it with 9mm ply etc etc.
He simply refused to listen to anything I had to say regarding the prep so I thanked him for wasting my time and left.
If people think they can just get Joe Bloggs in to throw some tiles on their walls and floors thats their problem, I don't advertise apart from my van and have never been busier.

S

swanman

You done the right thing.
Walk away if you are not happy.
i do it all the time. Even if I haven't much on.

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Did the same not long ago........walked away from a 70m floor. Big floater.

They did get someone to do it though.........I await further news??

O

On one

As the big man from Canada says.......''Do it once,do it right''.......any callback,is one too many!

M

m3fitter

turning away low end builders now, small meterage, badly prepped rooms, splashbacks.. the market is too buoyant to take non earners on... as there are many large projects out there... just hold your nerve and take the good earners on, leave the small ones for the newbies :)

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
turning away low end builders now, small meterage, badly prepped rooms, splashbacks.. the market is too buoyant to take non earners on... as there are many large projects out there... just hold your nerve and take the good earners on, leave the small ones for the newbies :)

I find large projects more of a pain ......jobs getting put back, other trades in the way....and don't get me started on trying to get paid !!!

give me a private 20 m bathroom any day....2 days work and get paid on your way out the door, you just need to know how to weed out the time wasters...:thumbsup:

Reply to Turning down jobs ? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen