Discuss To tank or not in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

U

Unused Account 1

Always telling builders ,clients ,dont plaster the tiled areas once boarded,especilally with big format tiles,waist of money and more weight onto plaster board

Reaction score
Hi

I am having my bathroom refitted with shower tray and glass screen, bath taken out and all tiles removed, plasterer coming to plaster full bathroom. Guy doing the bathroom work states tanking not neccessary when the walls have been plasterered, you only need to tank when tiles are going on walls and floor, and he also did not price for tanking and this would involve extra costs, would rather be out of pocket now rather than later. My son says the shower area should be water proofed.

Just worried if tanking is not done and I then have problem further down the line, all advice would be greatly appreciated.
Bottom line is that this is NOT a wet room. Sure you can tank the walls as best practice. But a true wet room does not have a shower tray, it has a floor former. This is then tanked and at least a meter past the wet area (more commonly the whole floor). By using a shower tray you will be relying on 50 pence worth of silicone to stop it leaking. My bet is that the fitter has suggested a tray as it is quicker to install. A wetroom will cost a bit more. But if you fit good products from one brand you will not only be waterproof but in many cases have a lifetime guarantee.

Reply to To tank or not in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks