Discuss tiling over paint (yet again) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

goatboy

should be but advising me that can tile onto browning coating wasnt good advice... like i said earlier will ask him to render the walls then tile onto that as seems the strongest solution... would be very hard for the cement layer to come free from the wall

W

White Room

It's all in the prep, with your paint on the wall it still should removed.

Don't how though he can turn up with no idea whats on the walls

G

goatboy

will let you all know in the morning how it is going anyway im heading off to bed nn dudes

W

White Room

I don't know the man and will never have seen his work, the choice would be yours at the end of the day but if you need further advise please post and ask

D

Dean G

Hardibacker is available from Buildbase, Topps Tiles and i am sure numerous other Builders merchants keep it.

G

goatboy

getting someone to render the walls ready to be tiled onto.. chipped most of the plaster off today gona put a wire mesh onto the wall to make sure the render stays on the wall this time (best to be double safe) still got to choose the tiles yet.. heard all sorts of doos and donts with the tile adhesive... been told to stay away from ready mix stuff but what is the difference?

D

Deleted member 9966

Ed

Ready mixed stuff from DIY shops needs air circulating around the adhesive to ensure it dries. Cement based powdered adhesives set by chemical reaction and do not need air circulating. If you're thinking of buying big, heavy tiles, go for a cement based adhesive. And you will need to consider tile weights too. Does anybody know how much weight render will take?

GRR

M

marc1106

i always treat cement render as the same as plaster and call it 20-22kg a meter,

PS hello everyone good to be back! :hurray:

G

goatboy

yes or even treble that... the tiles wont weigh that much but i wanted to go for a cement based adhesive just because then it will fuse with the wall... thinking about it though might be a bit of an arse to get off if i ever wanted to change the tiles ^^ lol are there any downsides to using normal render on cement (aside from there needing to be air getting to the adhesive?

M

marc1106

I think a sand/cement render will take at least double that.

It may do! but Goatboy was talking about getting the bonding/browning rendered over so i wouldnt want to overload the substrate as you have no idea how well it will stay up under the weight of a rendercoat then tiles, which was my point initially :thumbsup:

Reply to tiling over paint (yet again) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks