Discuss tiling over paint (yet again) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

goatboy

yes can leave it for as long as it takes but was wondering how long it takes because with render then plaster on top it takes near to a month+ was wondering if it would be quicker with just a cement render.. and basically you can use a dehumidifier but it cant be in close proximity to the plaster.. same with a heater.. in a room that is 1m x 2m that is near impossible... if you put a heater or dehumidifier next to a wall and that bit dried out faster than the rest then it would cause it to crack.. also wondering if the cement render should have any lime in it to perhaps stop any cracking or is that me just going ott?

D

doug boardley

I'd use a rendering sand mixed 4.5:1 with cement, rather than using lime, I'd use cementone waterproofer as a plasticiser:thumbsup:(no skimming, tile straight onto render)

G

goatboy

ok well its definatly not comming off the wall as i said earlier its going to be having a mesh backing bolted to the wall for it to adhere to.. just hoping that is enough not to have to blast the paint off that is behind it.. will be grinding out some of the mortar between the bricks to give it an even better key... only want to be doing this the once lol

J

jay

the renderer should put a dash coat on first to provide a key for the render at least 95% of the paint should be removed and depending on how thick it needs to be let the render dry slowly some old bricks suck the guts out of render and you need to wet render as it cures norm after one days drying get a bucket and a drinking cup and pour water at the top of render letting it run down face of render also were render meets floor a small v should be left at base to stop any rising damp :8: also dont recomend ataching expanding metal over painted bricks as render will only be held by whatever you use to fasten metal with

Last edited by a moderator:
G

goatboy

well it's done.... decided to do it with limelite instead of sand cement just to make sure about any damp problems... the metal mesh was screwed into the brick using stainless steel screws so really doubt that is going to be falling off any time soon and the limelite acts as an inhibitor to the metal corroding anyway
the bricks in the house oddly enough are very high quality engineering bricks and water just runs off them like water off a duck's back at the base a gap has been left of just over an inch to make sure no damp is sucked up through the floor.. its looking good now apart from one bit where the mesh got caught on the trowel and is sticking out of the render about 2mm lol i'll just snip it off when it dries...

a few hours after it was finished i brushed the entire surface which will give the tiles a nice key to go on to :) will post back once it is dry and the tiling commences

to Jay's post... if they had tried to get the paint off they would have damaged the surface of the brick which is why in the end they went for the mesh and if the screws dont hold then id be very suprised as the wall would have to come down before they gave way lol

Reaction score
Hi,
When painting tiles, if you are using plaster paint as a solution or not, if it does, great, however, if it does not then you should consult a professional about this matter. It's possible that they can help you. This should make you feel a little more comfortable.

Reply to tiling over paint (yet again) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks