Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling on Asphalt in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

penno

What adhesive do you reccomend for tiling onto an asphalt floor with 60 x 30 tiles?
Prefer the Bal products, would you reccomend a flexi or would BAL CTF do the job just fine?

D

DHTiling

Ctf is a white adhesive and expensive as well....bal rapid set is fine for asphalt floors as it is polymodified to start with..but if you want that extra added flex then go for bal rapid set flexi.....bal ptb flexi is good for large format tiles but needs practice to work with it......

her's some info on those adhesives for you mat.........

BAL Rapidset
rapidset.jpg

A cement-based, polymer modified, non-slip, rapid setting, water-resistant and frost-resistant adhesive suitable for fixing ceramic wall and floor tiles including fully vitrified and porcelain, ceramic mosaics, quarry tiles, dark natural stone, terrazzo and brick slips. Suitable for a variety of backgrounds/bases including concrete/brick/block walling, cement:sand rendering, gypsum plaster, plasterboard, fibre cement sheets, cement:sand screeds, ceramic/quarry tile/terrazzo/hard natural stone, vinyl tiles/sheet, mastic asphalt. BS EN 12004 C2FT Adhesive.

BAL Rapidset Flexible
rapidset_flexible.jpg

A flexible, rapid-setting, non-slip, water-resistant and frost-resistant wall and floor tile adhesive especially suitable for fixing tiles, including fully vitrified and porcelain tiles to low porosity backgrounds and bases. Suitable for use on concrete/brick/block walling, cement:sand rendering, plaster, plasterboard, cement sheets, tile backer boards, concrete bases, cement:sand screeds, plywood overlay, ceramic/quarry tile/terrazzo/hard natural stone, vinyl tiles/sheet, mastic asphalt. BAL Rapidset Flexible white is especially ideal for fixing natural stone, slate, marble (including translucent marble) and travertine. Conforms to BS EN 12004, Type C, Class 2FT.

BAL PTB (Pourable Thick Bed) Flexible
ptb_flexible.jpg

A highly polymer modified, flexible, rapid-setting, water-resistant, frost-resistant floor tile adhesive, especially suitable for fixing tiles, including fully vitrified and porcelain tiles to low porosity backgrounds and bases. Sulphate-resistant, cement-based, pourable, thick-bed solid-bed floor tile adhesive suitable for fixing ceramic tiles, quarries, natural stone and terrazzo in interior and exterior situations. Its consistency makes it particularly suitable for fixing large tiles and those with profiled backs. Back-buttering is not necessary. Suitable for use on concrete, cement:sand screeds, ceramic/quarry tile/terrazzo/hard natural stone, plywood overlay, vinyl tiles/sheet, mastic asphalt. BS EN 12004 C2F Adhesive

BAL CTF 3
ctf3.jpg

White, cement-based, polymer modified, non-slip, water-resistant and frost-resistant adhesive suitable for fixing ceramic wall and floor tiles, ceramic mosaics, quarry tiles, natural stone, terrazzo and brick slips. Suitable for a variety of backgrounds/bases including concrete/brick/block walling, cement:sand rendering, gypsum plaster, plasterboard, fibre cement sheets, cement:sand screeds, ceramic/quarry tile/terrazzo/hard natural stone, vinyl tiles/sheet, mastic asphalt.

P

penno

Yeah but would i be ok using CTF on the Asphalt or is a flexi needed?
The job is for a certain family member i don't like too much but still want the job doing well

Basically was supposed to be on a job as we speak and purchased 80kg of CTF for it but job fell through. Bloke suddenly wanted brick pattern with a mosaic border that wasn't included in the price. Told me he would ply the floor with 18mm ply, turned up for the job and he said " didn't have time to ply but the boards are there for you to put down" didn't like the extra cost that was involved so i packed up.
So anyway 80kg of CTF sat in my van will it be ok on Asphalt or just stick with a rapidset? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Just use flexi-set rapid mat..........no probs and sets faster...ctf sets in 16hrs....

P

penno

Whilst we are on about Asphalt how long would you say it is before you could lay a tile onto a floor that has been freshly asphalted? I got a suprising answer off 2 asphalters today

D

DHTiling

as far as i know it will be as soon as its dry.....i bet they said within hrs........

P

penno

as far as i know it will be as soon as its dry.....i bet they said within hrs........

Spot on Dave, spoke with my dad who was asphalting for briggs amasco for 30+ years and said the tilers used to basically follow them along, 1st tile went down on the fresh ashalt after 1hr 20 mins.

Reply to Tiling on Asphalt in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I'm searching for 42 pieces of 12" x 12" Verde Alpi marble tiles. Preferably honed. 12" x 24"...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen