Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiling flush to doorway, no facing/architrave in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

Julz77

Evening all

looking for advice on tiling to a doorway with no architrave, like a 'wet room style'

tiles are 250 x 400 x 8 white ceramics. i have added a couple of pics of the area, but am a bit concerened about a couple of things

- the wall on one side of the door is only 55mm wide..so obviously a crappy cut to make, should i leave it and advice to get architrave back in?

- if it is possible to tile up to the door, what gap should i leave between last tile and door way? I have 10mm genisis trim. concerned about when door goes back in the the tile being damaged

- (this might sound mad but.....) is there anything like a thick door trim that i could use on the small wall and still get the wet look room on the other side and the top? or would that look crap?

photo2.JPG photo1.JPG

sorry the pics are wrong way round, not sure how to shift them round!

really appreciate any help and advice!

Julz

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi julz i see what you mean ,it will look wrong imo if you use trim

ask them to use architrave and sort standards out

J

Julz77

Hiya Kilty

Thats what I suspected, daft wee cut to have. Will speak to them in the morning.!

thanks as always!

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
not just that julz,the hinge marks from door are tight to plasterwork you would have to cut a trim into peices to have it flush or have it further back on wall both looking crap i think

J

Julz77

No its new plaster coat on crappy old squinty nightmare walls,,,,,old tiles taken off last week, terrible state some put up with silicon not addy and some packed out with broken tiles behind...

Its had 2 coats of plaster but still out in places by 10 mm. not best pleased with the plasterer as he also put a bit of wood (looks like an old floorboard!) on the window sill, when i asked for plasterboard as tiling into the revel.

Your right about the door tho, just advice them to get architrave put back in, cant think of any way of making it look ok.

have another door way in the room but doesnt have a door on it (walk in alcove type thing) so least that should be easier! .....i hope

J

Julz77

bonded then 2 coats, yeah still patchy in places, not helped by the freezing weather!

pic was taken early this morn so hoping that it will be better by tomo, still have to tank/prime etc.. think i will set out the floor if its still patchy tomo.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
yeah ok just be careful julz make sure its totally dry before applying anything julz is my advice ...might take a bit longer to be ok imo

gives you time to get shot of the floorboard the guys rammed in the window for you lol

i saw a plumber try to patch a shower wall with the laminate floor he lifted form the rip out honest and he expected me to mosaic over the top of it !!

J

Julz77

hahha true ! floorboard tho eh? what do they expect us to be able to achieve with a tile and a bit of addy on that kind of crap?

I have a horrible feeling its still going to be patchy ....and this job will go on FOREVER...never mind gives me time to figure out how to make wall tiles flush when the wall resembles the cairngorms :-/

S

steve187

make sure there is plenty of ventilation in the room to allow the walls to completely dry, the problem i can see in tiling up to the door edge without architrave, is that you will be tiling on to the wooden door casing.

A

Alan M

i wouldnt tile out over the door frame , the vibrations fromt the door closing (or odd heated slam) will loosen the tiles

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
If you have a plastics supplier nearby you can get uPVC architieve, if you were after a maintenand free wetroom, no painting ;)

Not liking the sound of the walls though. Bonded and two skim coats and it's dipping out by 10mm??

J

Julz77

Thanks steve
just spoken to the customer who really doesnt want architrave, but wants the 10mm tile trim, is there any way of making it work? would i need to cut into the trim to accommodate for the hinges? nightmare as for the tiny cuts on the other side of the door still no sure if it will just look crap!

Reply to Tiling flush to doorway, no facing/architrave in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks