Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling flush to doorway, no facing/architrave in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi julz,the 55mm cut will be fine lots of doorways are this tight to the wall that i have done its just the finished trim that wont look right imo on this one

check the straightness of the wall vertically at door edges and if large voids are there show the customer these will be highlighted by trim work when you flush the tiling off

J

Julz77

It's easy to cut and shape with a grinder too.

Are you going to be able to fix if the walls are that bad? What addy are you using? Most constraints are 20ish mm, Your going to be breakign limist once back buttered and packed out 15mm.

Its weber set plus, just checked at says its ok for up to 20mm in small areas. as its 15 mm dips here and there hoping it should be grand. not rapid set either so should have a bit of time to play around.

just annoyed as i offered to plaster the walls myself, would have saved time as i would have gotten them sorted. customer aint best pleased that she paid to have them sorted and there not.

just the tile trim round the door thats confusing me. suppose if its what she really wants ill just have to go for it

J

Julz77

hi julz,the 55mm cut will be fine lots of doorways are this tight to the wall that i have done its just the finished trim that wont look right imo on this one

check the straightness of the wall vertically at door edges and if large voids are there show the customer these will be

highlighted by trim work when you flush the tiling off

customer is in cyprus on hols, (least im 'home alone' to get on with it!)

plumber has also told her to use the tile trims so she fairly certain thats what she wants!

M

Martino

plumber has also told her to use the tile trims so she fairly certain thats what she wants!

LOL!!!!.......IMO it would look better with the tile but just make sure u tell her about movement....unless the doors frame has been concreted in it will move!....the grout will prob's crack and fall out around the frame area too!....but what can you do.....explain this and then its upto them! :)

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
don't see why it would be a problem at all using a trim instead of arc,ive done it loads,looks much better than arc.
Leave the trim back near the inside edge,leaving a gap bigger than a joiner would with arc,or the same.
If a tile falls off because someone slams the door its not because the tile laps the timber by 2 or 3mm its just bad fixing :thumbsup:

oh,and the plasterer is a bit rough,a good plasterer should always clean his woodwork and his electric boxers out:yes:

D

Dave H

Don't like the idea of tiling onto door frame, as Alan M says vibrations from door
closing may crack tiles, if client insists, I would use trim but set it back 5-10mm to give a margin all round that can be painted with frame, hinges then won't interfere.

J

Julz77

don't see why it would be a problem at all using a trim instead of arc,ive done it loads,looks much better than arc.
Leave the trim back near the inside edge,leaving a gap bigger than a joiner would with arc,or the same.
If a tile falls off because someone slams the door its not because the tile laps the timber by 2 or 3mm its just bad fixing :thumbsup:

oh,and the plasterer is a bit rough,a good plasterer should always clean his woodwork and his electric boxers out:yes:

Thanks for that Wilder

defo a rough plasterer had a wee look at the nick of the window revel...will post pics in a minute

J

Julz77

photo4.JPG photo.JPG

its not even level :mad2: ....... the bit off wood is already cracked and (although highly unlikely in Scotland for at least 9 months..and even then only be for one day...) when the sun shines it hits the ledge directly...so a bit concerned about it expanding and cracking more....

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks for that Wilder

defo a rough plasterer had a wee look at the nick of the window revel...will post pics in a minute
no worrys,it shouldnt be a problem if done right.
how a few mm of wood would make a difference is beyond me,your tile would possibly not even be on the wood by 2mm,your trim another mm,then another 4 or 5 to the edge.
besides,once you have chipped the plaster off the casing,you will have a good few mill clearance underneath the tile ;)

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
View attachment 46563 View attachment 46564

its not even level :mad2: ....... the bit off wood is already cracked and (although highly unlikely in Scotland for at least 9 months..and even then only be for one day...) when the sun shines it hits the ledge directly...so a bit concerned about it expanding and cracking more....
looks like you have plenty of room to plasterboard it mate,just screw some on

Reply to Tiling flush to doorway, no facing/architrave in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen