• Thanks for visiting TilersForums.com, the Tile Advice Forum. It's free to join if you'd like to register and ask a question should you not be able to search for your answers already. :)
uHeat Official Forum Sponsor for Underfloor Heating (Electric and Wet)
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Tiling caberboard floor in the Tiling Forum | Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reactions
359 1
I have a job coming up to tile on caberboard. 10mm porc. Floor is rock solid. Rather than overboard. I’m thinking decoupling mat. Any thoughts ?

Tile Fix Direct

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reactions
145 3
While Caberboard is moisture resistant fixing a de-coupling layer with adhesive would lock moisture under sheet and may encourage board to take in some moisture and swell? Using an Ardex or similar high spec fast set adhesive that locks moisture into the adhesive might be better, or even BAL Flexbone2easy that does not require adhesive.

jcrtiling

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
4,488 57 1
What member type are you?
Professional Wall and Floor Tiler
I would want to mechanically fix do to nature of the caber board protective covering

LEE MAC

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
12,699 36
Screw the Caberboard to the joists and use Ditra stuck with acrylic vinyl adhesive such as Ardex AF200 etc.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Advent Win
Reactions
4,365 19
This was the last floor I took up with Ditra on Caber P5.

4AFD9E31-E0D1-48C5-9596-36903BC864E2.jpeg

I wouldn’t do it, 6mm Hardie every time.

Reactions
Bathroom?
I’d take it up and pop 22mm No More Ply down. Then your Ditra if you like. I’ve never been a fan of chipboard. It’s always close to changing shape when water is nearby. Or 18mm ply then thin no more ply or Hardiebacker or Aquapanel.

3_fall

JOTM Winner

3_fall

Admin
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
26,604 91 2
Cement boards do not add to the structural integrity of a substrate, they are just an inert tileable substrate that is unaffected by moisture ingress,
and should not be used to strengthen a floor.
That’s according to manufacturers guidelines.

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reactions
359 1
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you for the advice guys. It’s in a small kitchen. Not a wet area. Floor Is 18mm onto timber frame on a concrete slab. Boards are screwed to frame and floor is rock solid. No movement at all.

Last edited:

Localtiler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
9,307 88 1
Cement boards do not add to the structural integrity of a substrate, they are just an inert tileable substrate that is unaffected by moisture ingress,
and should not be used to strengthen a floor.
That’s according to manufacturers guidelines.
That's true for most although Tilemaster claim otherwise with there 6mm cement board.

Reply to Tiling caberboard floor in the Tiling Forum | Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Mapei Tile Adhesive - Official forum sponsor

Tiling Forum

Get free wall and floor tiling advice from TilersForums.com's Tiling Forum. Both DIY and professional wall and floor tilers use this forum to make sure their tiling is spot on.

New Threads (Sitewide)

UK Pro Tiling Training
Top Bottom

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.