Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiling Around Door Frame in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

DazJWood

I am in the process of tiling my bathroom with travertine.
My door frame is flush with the cement board walls and I am wondering the best options with regardings to tiling this area. If I remember there was skirting or arcatrave (whatever it's called) around this area prior to me ripping the old plasterboard walls out.
Is it the usual practise to put this arcatrave back up and then tile upto it?
I was wondering what other options there maybe as I quite like the idea of not having the wooden surround back on the frame. I like the idea of just having the tiles. If I did this though do I tile upto the frame, which would mean the tiles would stand proud and then the frame wouldn't be flush. If I tile over the frame to take the tiles flush with the inside of the frame then I am guessing I could potentially then have the door clashing with the tiles on closure.
I'd appreciate any advice anyone can give on their experiences or chosen methods.
Thanks,
Daz

D

doug boardley

yep Daz, put the architrave back on and tile up to it, leaving a 2-3mm gap right round for a silion bead after grouting. Don't grout this gap as it will only crack out and will counteract the benefits of using silicon.

D

DazJWood

Thanks for the response.

Can it be done without the architrave or would it look odd?

My tiles are thick travertine tiles around 12mm thick. This plus around 3mm adhesive means it would be 15mm thick off the wall. The architrave that was removed is probably half as thick, if not less, so would mean the tiles would look odd with the step down to the architrave. I suppose I could buy different thicker architrave.

I just think it may look better without the architrave there at all.

Any further opinions?

Thanks,

Daz

M

mikethetile

you can but dont use addy on the wooden lining

bring the tiles over the lining about 5mm to cover the joint and silicone

J

jay

yep Daz, put the architrave back on and tile up to it, leaving a 2-3mm gap right round for a silion bead after grouting. Don't grout this gap as it will only crack out and will counteract the benefits of using silicon.

id do as doug says the arks help to strengthen door jamb wich can move a lot with door opening and shutting ect

M

mikethetile

the architrave is only a decorative strip to cover the movement joint between wood and plaster, its not structural and doesnt hold the lining, if you have a loose lining the architrave will pull off

J

jay

so you can take arks off and jamb wont move at all (try it) they make a difference just my opinion

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mikethetile

so you can take arks off and jamb wont move at all (try it)

thats right, the lining has to be rock solid as it has a door swinging in it and if theres movement it will worsen with the door continously closing into the jamb

arcitrave is only pinned on and will pull off a loose lining

and yes I have tried it, loose linings are a common problem that you come across when retro fitting doors, the first signs being a crack in the paint where the architrave meets the lining

ive fitted thousandss of linings on sitework and hung doors into them, the architrave is fitted last in case theres movement that needs dealing with, the architrave is a decorative cover mould and has no structural use in the door frame

if your finding movement when removing architrave then you need to refix your lining

Last edited by a moderator:
H

heavytrevy

Ive done a few with the arc removed , just have the trav finish in the same position as the arc, make sure u give the trav a slight bevel to finish.
I recon it looks great , very modern and clean.

Trev

S

Stewart

You can remove it, but in my opinion it looks rubbish and unfinished, even if you polish the edge of trav or use a trim with tile, it always looks like there's something missing. I always remove the architrave (facing) plate the standards (door lining) to finish flush with the tile, then install a new set of facings on top, which then comes over the tile, giving a much better finish. I do this in every bathroom I tile.
IMG_0138.jpg

D

DazJWood

Ive done a few with the arc removed , just have the trav finish in the same position as the arc, make sure u give the trav a slight bevel to finish.
I recon it looks great , very modern and clean.

Trev

Thanks,

When you say have the trav finish in the same position as the arc, what exactly do you mean? Are you saying bring the tile up to the edge of the door lining? Or do you mean just overlap where the lining meets the cement board?

Daz

D

DazJWood

You can remove it, but in my opinion it looks rubbish and unfinished, even if you polish the edge of trav or use a trim with tile, it always looks like there's something missing. I always remove the architrave (facing) plate the standards (door lining) to finish flush with the tile, then install a new set of facings on top, which then comes over the tile, giving a much better finish. I do this in every bathroom I tile.
View attachment 18403

I am not sure I understand the sentence "I always remove the architrave (facing) plate the standards (door lining) to finish flush with the tile". Could you please clarify?

Thanks!

Daz

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 18403

That's a beautiful job mate. :)

D

doug boardley

View attachment 18403

when I've worked north of the border I've noticed that does seem to be the way it's done Stewart
Daz, facing is the scottish term for architrave:thumbsup:

Reply to Tiling Around Door Frame in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks