Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling Around Door Frame in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stewart

You can remove it, but in my opinion it looks rubbish and unfinished, even if you polish the edge of trav or use a trim with tile, it always looks like there's something missing. I always remove the architrave (facing) plate the standards (door lining) to finish flush with the tile, then install a new set of facings on top, which then comes over the tile, giving a much better finish. I do this in every bathroom I tile.
IMG_0138.jpg

D

DazJWood

Ive done a few with the arc removed , just have the trav finish in the same position as the arc, make sure u give the trav a slight bevel to finish.
I recon it looks great , very modern and clean.

Trev

Thanks,

When you say have the trav finish in the same position as the arc, what exactly do you mean? Are you saying bring the tile up to the edge of the door lining? Or do you mean just overlap where the lining meets the cement board?

Daz

D

DazJWood

You can remove it, but in my opinion it looks rubbish and unfinished, even if you polish the edge of trav or use a trim with tile, it always looks like there's something missing. I always remove the architrave (facing) plate the standards (door lining) to finish flush with the tile, then install a new set of facings on top, which then comes over the tile, giving a much better finish. I do this in every bathroom I tile.
View attachment 18403

I am not sure I understand the sentence "I always remove the architrave (facing) plate the standards (door lining) to finish flush with the tile". Could you please clarify?

Thanks!

Daz

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 18403

That's a beautiful job mate. :)

D

doug boardley

View attachment 18403

when I've worked north of the border I've noticed that does seem to be the way it's done Stewart
Daz, facing is the scottish term for architrave:thumbsup:

M

mikethetile

you need to bring the tile over the joint to hide it, but dont fix the overlap with addy as the vibration will transfer through to the tile, use silicone on that edge

Reaction score
Could create a door frame/architive with the trav tiles.
100mm strips, mitred in the top corners. I've done a few and they tend to look good. Finish nice & flush with the rest of the wall tiles.

(when i get a wire for my camera i might upload a pic if i can work it out)

Reaction score
I know that this thread seems to be solved, but nNow that I'm a whizz at uploading pictures, I thought I'd give you a visual example of what I was on about the other day!

SDC10586.jpg

Reply to Tiling Around Door Frame in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen