Discuss Tiling an outside step with victorian tiles. in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bluevin123

Hi,
Got to tile my brothers outside front step next week in victorian tiles,weather permitting.
I have been told to work from the centre and go outwards,also the face of the step is crumbling so not sure how to level this out,any further advice on this kind of tiling and the levelling out process would be much appreciated.
Cheers.
Vinnie. IMAG0024.jpg :thumbsup:

G

grumpygrouter

You need a FLAT surface for a geometric floor. That step is in really poor condition, are you tiling the face as well? you may be as well to either get it screeded properly or maybe overlay with a backerboard like Hardie Wedi or Marmox, though this will add some height and I am not sure you have enough room at your door threshold....it may look a bit odd with the extra height?

W

White Room

I would be hacking off the old tiles and the brick work just incase they start to break away, there is probably an old concrete slab under the tiles..

Render on the edge/front of the step and a self leveling on the surface in front of the door.

D

DHTiling

IMO.. it isn't suitable to tile too as it is.. a good hard frost will blow them off in no time.. i think it needs to be ripped out and new one cast in place.

G

Gazzer

IMO.. it isn't suitable to tile too as it is.. a good hard frost will blow them off in no time.. i think it needs to be ripped out and new one cast in place.

Agreed and when you do, set it back so that the finished riser finishes inside the brickwork to allow for thickness of facing tile.

R

Rich

I think you will prob spend more time trying to make that a suitable surface to tile, then it would take to rip out and redo.

B

bluevin123

ok,cheers guys for that,steps all sorted in preperation..screwed and bedded backerboard down with flexi addy on the top and face of step last week.
Now rock solid and flat.

My next question is, do I butt them up or leave a very small grout line say 1mm all around each tile?
Also shall I use a mosaic trowel or a 6mm trowel?
Hope you can advise,
Cheers.
Vinnie.

D

DHTiling

ok,cheers guys for that,steps all sorted in preperation..screwed and bedded backerboard down with flexi addy on the top and face of step last week.
Now rock solid and flat.

My next question is, do I butt them up or leave a very small grout line say 1mm all around each tile?
Also shall I use a mosaic trowel or a 6mm trowel?
Hope you can advise,
Cheers.
Vinnie.

So you left the steps as they were..? and which backerboard.?

B

bluevin123

Yeah, spoke with me Brother and his Wife,showed them the forums answers, they didnt really want step knocked out so they agreed on using the hardiebacker board as was recommended by 3 tile shops,all who said it was suitable for outdoor use.
So it sure looks ok,just hope it remains that way.
Cheers.
Vinnie.

S

Spud

hardie dont garantee their backer board for outside use, hardie backer retains a lot of moisture when used outside which will mean a failure due to frost damage

Reply to Tiling an outside step with victorian tiles. in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley