Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling above worktop that isn't level? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

akbmcf1

Thanks in advance for any help and advice you can give! Am tiling my kitchen, but have just discovered that the work surface on one side of the cooker we have is slightly lower than the run of worktop on the other side of the cooker (was fitted by a family member who is a qualified joiner and works for the council...!!)

So am wondering what your advice would be to compensate for this height difference without leaving a big gap between the bottom tile and worktop over the lower portion..? The height difference is about 8mm either side of the cooker, but both stretches of worktop are level in themselves, just at different heights (if that makes any sense...) Would you believe I've never ever noticed it in the 5 years I've lived in the house?

Is it acceptable/would it be noticeable to tile on a slight slant to compensate for the height change (the whole run of worktop and cooker is about 2.5 metres in length) or should I try to make up some or all of the height difference by increasing the gap between the tiles ever so slightly as it progresses along the wall?

Any advice would be much appreciated as to perhaps how you good people have overcome a similar situation.

Thanks,
Andrew

M

Mike

i would tile the lower side first using a full tile on the worktop then take the 8mm or so off the other side tiles so the grout lines run true.

G

Gazzer

Either adjust the worktop to bring it up level with the other side or use the lower side to start tiling from and cut 8mm from the bottom of the tile on the higher side of worktop.
Do not tile on a slant, it will stand out a mile.

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
can you not take plinth off and try and lift work top slightly with the adjustable feet lift one side 4 mm and drop other 4mm

or start with a full tile on low side , ping a line round and work to it all the way round what size tiles are they

A

akbmcf1

They're 20x10 'brick' tiles and the annoying thing is that the lower section is the smallest worktop in the kitchen - all the rest are level at the higher level...

A

akbmcf1

Looks like that will be the solution then - lift the worktop and then look out for some new decorative trim end panels for the cupboards. Life's never straightforward, is it? :)

Cheers for all your advice, much appreciated

Reply to Tiling above worktop that isn't level? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen