Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling a ply former with ceramic tiles? in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com.

O

One Day

Apologies Paul for the brutal response.

To answer the question a little more professionally:
Yes, there are many MANY things that can go wrong with wood.
First alarm bell is the very suggestion by a builder to make a former from wood.
Now you possibly have an expert there, but the overwhelming chance is he is (with the best of intentions) going to cobble something together.
Wood is never a good idea because it is not dimensionally stable, it expands and contracts with humidity, moisture and temperature.
Even if it is waterproofed with a liquid or fabric membrane, it will ultimately fail in a short space of time - (disclaimer) unless this is done by an experienced expert who in 2017 should by now be using newer methods and materials.

If you can explain the problems you foresee with a moulded former, perhaps I can be more helpful?!

F

Flintstone

I once had a builder create a former out of concrete to a linear drain that was stuck up about 10mm. Needless to say, he was soon chopping it out

Q

Qwerty

I once had a builder not take an hour's lunch break!

I know, amazing right!!??

Lol..... we need a new 'I once had a builder........' thread! The possibilities are endless :D

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Water and ply do not mix well together, keep them well away from each other!!!! Unless you like open plan living (between floors)

Quite how this wall stayed upright is beyond me. It was 12mm ply that just turned to mush!!!

IMG_0801.jpg

Reply to Tiling a ply former with ceramic tiles? in the Tanking and Wetrooms area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen