Discuss thick tiles to hide kitchen gaps in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

randytrouserman

Ey up all,

I'm looking to find a range of tiles that I can use as a surround/splashback to go round a badly fitted work surface in my kitchen. I'm thinking it could be one tile high, all the way round.

Some of the gaps between the work surfaces and the walls are 15mm (it's a inherited kitchen). Ideally the tiles wouldn't be any larger than 110x110mm hxw. Oh, and glass if possible!

Does anyone know of a manufacturer that offers such a tile?

All help appreciated.

Many thanks

rt

T

Turkish

Would it not be possible to dot and dab a bit of plasterboard on there mate then it won`t matter about the tile thickness and you`ll have a lovely surface to tile to?

Turkish

R

randytrouserman

thanks turkish,

I'm hoping to get away with a run of single height tiles right the way round the kitchen - I don't want to tile all the wall between work surface and head height cabinets if I can help it. There's plenty of boxed in pipes to go round!

Would mean a having to re-plaster between the top of my new tiles and the bottom of the head height cabinets if i'm not careful.

cheers

rt

Reaction score
have you considerd work top trims made by genisis ? they come forward of the tile face by about 8 mm and have a slot for the tile to lay in, also no need for silicone once fitted. 8mm and 10 mm slots i belive

D

DHTiling

You can get some Original style glass tiles 100mmx100mm from CTD they are about 12mm thick so just use something like Bal mosaic fix and pack em out a bit to cover the extra 3mm or so......

R

randytrouserman

the only pi55 take my friend is the fitting of the kitchen work surface. As mentioned, it's been inherited as it's a new house to us and I'm trying to find an inexpensive solution to the problem.

Dave - who are CTD?

Chairs

NickH

TF
Reaction score
You could try what they did at a job i've just ripped out. Stuff the gap full of old newspaper and then gun a load of white silicon over the top of it, oh and dont forget to smear it all over the tiles and tops with your finger. Looked s**t but they seemed ok with it.

R

randytrouserman

the work surface looks pretty old, not sure if I could get a matching one.

but I do like the idea, do you know if anyone produces a 'neutral' range? say natural wood, glass, stainless?

cheers again.

rt

D

DHTiling

You can get them at Howdons joinery....they are based all over the uk......

But i think you will manage with the thick glass tiles no probs.......

Reply to thick tiles to hide kitchen gaps in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Evening, Hope this post is in the correct section. If not, please feel free to move! I'm...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay