Search the forum,

Discuss Terracota tile with a cracked glaze in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I

ian158

Is there a special way of laying these..ie soaking them..as I was fitting them for a kitchen splash back you could here them making a cracking noise..they even made the noise when I was holding them which., I assume is expansion due to heat and moisture..they went on the wall fine but a bit disconcerting hearing them making them noises..

P

pebbles

you need to seal the tiles first chap ltp make a crackle glaze sealer, make sure you seal before wet cutting as the tile could stain.

Q

Qwerty

It's just what the do I'm afraid mate. I hate sealing or washing them down as that noise really gets to me! Once sealed correctly they are fine ;)

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I used a 75mmx150mm crackled glazed just ceramic biscuit, I had the same sound handling them and washing the down.

They were a pig to cut, I had to score them many times and still they spelched, I thought I had some pics can't find any.:mad2:

T

Time's Ran Out

Phil - I think that was when I got my first wet cutter.
Those little Mexican white (yellow) would go crackle/pop/snap as you took them out of the box. We used to display these peasant tiles (as every village hut had a kiln) in the early 80's before they were graded and became in vogue.
We definitely work in the fashion industry!

T

Phil - I think that was when I got my first wet cutter.
Those little Mexican white (yellow) would go crackle/pop/snap as you took them out of the box. We used to display these peasant tiles (as every village hut had a kiln) in the early 80's before they were graded and became in vogue.
We definitely work in the fashion industry!

We certainly do John I completed a job recently using 20mm thick limestone opus pattern largest tile was 1m x 500mm heavy beggers.

Sometimes I wish the old 6"x6" would come back in fashion.

Attachments

• lim1.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 26
  • lim2.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 26
  • lim3.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 27
  • lim4.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 23
  • lim5.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 25
D

DHTiling

What is rapid set going to do ... let me think ? mmmmm crack the glaze maybe :lol: ...

T

When you think about it one of the reasons adhesives replaced sand and cement fixing was the tiles used to craze, now they come ready crazed. Crazy, no pun intended.

I'll get me coat again.:sofahide:

Reply to Terracota tile with a cracked glaze in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen