Search the forum,

Discuss Terracota tile with a cracked glaze in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I

ian158

Is there a special way of laying these..ie soaking them..as I was fitting them for a kitchen splash back you could here them making a cracking noise..they even made the noise when I was holding them which., I assume is expansion due to heat and moisture..they went on the wall fine but a bit disconcerting hearing them making them noises..

P

pebbles

you need to seal the tiles first chap ltp make a crackle glaze sealer, make sure you seal before wet cutting as the tile could stain.

Q

Qwerty

It's just what the do I'm afraid mate. I hate sealing or washing them down as that noise really gets to me! Once sealed correctly they are fine ;)

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I used a 75mmx150mm crackled glazed just ceramic biscuit, I had the same sound handling them and washing the down.

They were a pig to cut, I had to score them many times and still they spelched, I thought I had some pics can't find any.:mad2:

T

Time's Ran Out

Phil - I think that was when I got my first wet cutter.
Those little Mexican white (yellow) would go crackle/pop/snap as you took them out of the box. We used to display these peasant tiles (as every village hut had a kiln) in the early 80's before they were graded and became in vogue.
We definitely work in the fashion industry!

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Phil - I think that was when I got my first wet cutter.
Those little Mexican white (yellow) would go crackle/pop/snap as you took them out of the box. We used to display these peasant tiles (as every village hut had a kiln) in the early 80's before they were graded and became in vogue.
We definitely work in the fashion industry!

We certainly do John I completed a job recently using 20mm thick limestone opus pattern largest tile was 1m x 500mm heavy beggers.

Sometimes I wish the old 6"x6" would come back in fashion.

Attachments

• lim1.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 29
  • lim2.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 29
  • lim3.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 30
  • lim4.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 25
  • lim5.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 27
D

DHTiling

What is rapid set going to do ... let me think ? mmmmm crack the glaze maybe :lol: ...

Reply to Terracota tile with a cracked glaze in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen