Search the forum,

Discuss Tanking and tiling timber batten to bath in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bodgermatic

I'm planning to tile this over-bath shower with 250mm x 400mm tiles, I also have the Mapei tanking kit. I've no idea of the best approach to dealing with the timber batten in terms of tanking and tiling. Should the tiles be proud of the bath lip? Is it best to slope them down towards the bath so that they drain better? Do I tape and tank across the batten to form a waterproof runoff before starting to tile - i.e.: is it OK to tape onto the bath (which will be subject to some movement, obviously).

dsc02455.jpg

Any advice much appreciated!

D

Deleted member 9966

hi there

in an ideal world, you could really do with taking out that wooden batten and moving the bath up so it's fully adjacent to the wall. Is there any way you could move the bath up towards the shower head wall? It would make for a better situation if you could. That way, you could tile straight on to the bath edges when you start tiling.

I think you need to sort the wooden batten out first before you do anything else. Wood in a high velocity wet area is not the best.

GRR

J

jay

as above i wouldn't tile direct to the baton it need to have cement sheet over it any chance of building the wall out to meet bath edge

B

bodgermatic

I've just had a look and I could remove the batten and shift the bath. Shouldn't take long to sort out. The original idea was to centre the bath in the room, but the window it's under isn't centred so I don't think it'll make much odds either way. I think I was just hoping to not have to undo work

Any tips for getting grip-fill off timber? :D

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 9966

by taking the batten out, you can butt the bath right up to the walls, silicone seal the bath edges to the wall, then tank down the walls to the bath, then tile. and when you've tiled and grouted, you can then run another bead of silicone to join the bath and the tiles together. that's how I did it in my own bathroom :thumbsup:

B

bodgermatic

By moving the bath up to the wall at the shower end, I'll end up with a bigger gap at the other end - which will have to be bridged with something. What's the recommended approach there?

J

jay

can you post a pic of the whole area of the bath just so we know what were looking at

thanks

B

bodgermatic

Here's a bit more context for you:

dsc02456.jpg

The original idea with the battens was to centre the bath in the room, but the window isn't central, so the taps look offset anyway :)

D

Deleted member 9966

hi bodger

by taking the batten out from the right hand side and shuffling the bath along the right, how much of a gap at the left hand side will that leave?

B

bodgermatic

The gap will end up about 80mm, it's an 1800mm bath.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 9966

The gap will end up about 80mm

I was just wondering if there might have been enough space to perhaps build a false wall out by 80mm, and incorporate some kind of recessed shelves. Am I correct in assuming that you will be tiling all the way around the 3 sides of the bath?

B

bodgermatic

Yep, tiling all the way round the bath, but only two tiles high at that end. Not keen on the shelves idea: it seems like a bit more work than I was planning on at this stage. Given that this end of the bath won't get very wet, is there any harm in tiling a horizontal batten with a slight slope towards the bath?

Reaction score
Ideally you need to lose the batten at the shower end
if the wall can't be built out, then I'd move the bath along & just have the bit of boxing at the other end of the bath. You'll lose your symmetry, but its better than having a dodgy bit that's going to get constantly wet & potential leeks

As for 2 tiles high at the end of the bath, depends how big your tiles are - but i'd be inclined to go in-line with the window if possible

B

bodgermatic

The tiles are 400x250 and will be laid with the long edge horizontal, so that will make the two rows at the end ~500mm, which is a bit higher than the window ledge.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
like jay said,you could cement board the batton if you don't want to move the bath,i suppose you could plasterboard(cement board would be thinner) it and silicone all the way around,then tank it with the tanking kit along with your shower area. not ideal.

ideally you should just put your bath against the wall(silicone in)then tile down,watertight then. make sure you either cement board ofr plasterboard the opposite end before you tile it,and use powdered adhesive,not tubbed

Reply to Tanking and tiling timber batten to bath in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen