Search the forum,

Discuss Tanking and tiling timber batten to bath in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deleted member 9966

The gap will end up about 80mm

I was just wondering if there might have been enough space to perhaps build a false wall out by 80mm, and incorporate some kind of recessed shelves. Am I correct in assuming that you will be tiling all the way around the 3 sides of the bath?

B

bodgermatic

Yep, tiling all the way round the bath, but only two tiles high at that end. Not keen on the shelves idea: it seems like a bit more work than I was planning on at this stage. Given that this end of the bath won't get very wet, is there any harm in tiling a horizontal batten with a slight slope towards the bath?

Reaction score
Ideally you need to lose the batten at the shower end
if the wall can't be built out, then I'd move the bath along & just have the bit of boxing at the other end of the bath. You'll lose your symmetry, but its better than having a dodgy bit that's going to get constantly wet & potential leeks

As for 2 tiles high at the end of the bath, depends how big your tiles are - but i'd be inclined to go in-line with the window if possible

B

bodgermatic

The tiles are 400x250 and will be laid with the long edge horizontal, so that will make the two rows at the end ~500mm, which is a bit higher than the window ledge.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
like jay said,you could cement board the batton if you don't want to move the bath,i suppose you could plasterboard(cement board would be thinner) it and silicone all the way around,then tank it with the tanking kit along with your shower area. not ideal.

ideally you should just put your bath against the wall(silicone in)then tile down,watertight then. make sure you either cement board ofr plasterboard the opposite end before you tile it,and use powdered adhesive,not tubbed

D

DHTiling

Make sure you remove the rest of the protective plastic from the bath edges before you try to silicone in the bath.. :)

B

bodgermatic

Thanks for all the advice, I'm trying to take it all on board :) I've shuffled the bath up and boxed in at the end. I don't have any cement board, so plasterboard will have to do - I'll tank it just to be sure. Siliconed all round the bath last night, and I'm starting the tanking now - wish me luck!

dsc02457.jpg dsc02458.jpg

D

diamondtiling

That silicone seems to be quite proud of the bath, you need to cut it flush with the surface prior to fixing any tiles.

B

bodgermatic

I'm not sure I understand about the silicone. The tiles are 9mm thick, so it'll disappear behind them quite nicely I think. I've also got to add the tanking tape over that silicone too (If I've correctly read the kit directions)

D

diamondtiling

The silicone should be flush, otherwise it will hold the tiles up too high from the edge of the bath. You should be aiming for a 3mm gap from the tile to the bath in order to acheive a nice silicone finish. As you look at the first picture the silicone needs to be cut flush to the bath now before you start tiling.

Reply to Tanking and tiling timber batten to bath in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen