Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Subfloor in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all, after some advice way in advance. We are currently extending arvoss
Backnof our house, we have about 40sqm of block and beam on insulation that will be liquid screed. Then when we knock through the existing is timber suspended floor (currently floorboards).we wanted to use porcelain tiles but Firstly I have the problem of two different substrates. if I take the floorboards up to insulate in between joists and lay ufh, I was thinking what’s best to lay back down to tile onto without having to add any extra thickness over the new screed floor if that makes sense? I was thinking of using ply and the could i lay ditra mat over the whole area? Would this be ok? Are there better/alternatives. Why I am at this stage I can consider any option.
Thanks in advance ryan

Kevbos

Arms
Reaction score
Please contribute to this thread if you have any new information or can even just reiterate what has been said already. :)
Hi all, after some advice way in advance. We are currently extending arvoss
Backnof our house, we have about 40sqm of block and beam on insulation that will be liquid screed. Then when we knock through the existing is timber suspended floor (currently floorboards).we wanted to use porcelain tiles but Firstly I have the problem of two different substrates. if I take the floorboards up to insulate in between joists and lay ufh, I was thinking what’s best to lay back down to tile onto without having to add any extra thickness over the new screed floor if that makes sense? I was thinking of using ply and the could i lay ditra mat over the whole area? Would this be ok? Are there better/alternatives. Why I am at this stage I can consider any option.
Thanks in advance ryan
Ply would be fine as long as it is thick enough !! And the joists are not bouncing or flexing ! And where the joins between the two substrates meet !you can use a expansion joint trim to allow for movement ! But really you need very thick ply

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
if youre taking up the floor boards why not remove the joists and replace the timber floor with a solid floor i.e. some hardcore compacted, sand blinding then polythene DPM then isulation, then Slip membrane then underfloor heating and follow the liquid screed right through the lot.

Reply to Subfloor in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock