Discuss Split Face Tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

Alexb

Hi, I have to lay some split face interlocking tiles in a bathroom. They are supposed to be laid without spacers tight to each other so there will be no grouting. However there bound to be still some small gaps between tiles - how can I make it waterproof?

Also, with the split face tiles surface being uneven, how can I seal the gap between the bath and the tiled wall?

T

Tile Shop

Can't think of any supplier that would recommend them for that situation.

I'd personally be nervous about putting them in the direct wet areas. Cement based adhesive and back skimming is essential. A couple of heavy coats of sealer (LTP Mattstone or similar) will be needed, whilst tanking every tiled area being the best way to protect and seal the wall and the gap to the bath (with tanking tape to bridge the gap). Regular bead of silicone but it might be harder to apply because of the texture.

But none of this will stop water getting through the gaps of the tiles, into the adhesive, into the back of the tiles etc.... and because its going to take in more water than any other tile, it might cause cracking and splintering in the future and potentially falling off altogether.

However people have ignored advise and done it in the past with no issue, and I'm sure many on here have also done it and will say its ok with immaculate preparation. But I like to be cautious as I've seen the odd horror story with various Splitface tiles in bath and shower rooms. And the last think I'd want whilst playing with my rubber ducky, is a slate tile bludgeoning me in the back of the head.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
As Andy says, personally would never fit in a wet area, only as a feature wall

A

Alexb

I'd personally be nervous about putting them in the direct wet areas. Cement based adhesive and back skimming is essential. A couple of heavy coats of sealer (LTP Mattstone or similar) will be needed, whilst tanking every tiled area being the best way to protect and seal the wall and the gap to the bath (with tanking tape to bridge the gap). Regular bead of silicone but it might be harder to apply because of the texture.

But none of this will stop water getting through the gaps of the tiles, into the adhesive, into the back of the tiles etc.... and because its going to take in more water than any other tile, it might cause cracking and splintering in the future and potentially falling off altogether.

However people have ignored advise and done it in the past with no issue, and I'm sure many on here have also done it and will say its ok with immaculate preparation. But I like to be cautious as I've seen the odd horror story with various Splitface tiles in bath and shower rooms. And the last think I'd want whilst playing with my rubber ducky, is a slate tile bludgeoning me in the back of the head.
Thanks Paul, very useful.
As Andy says, personally would never fit in a wet area, only as a feature wall
Thanks Paul, very useful. Will try to get him to change the tiles.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
And also they will harbour bacteria and mould in all the crevices (crevice, now that's a dirty word) devilishly hard to keep clean, so just tell him that and it should steer him away from the wet area

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
If you trying to put him off, you might mention - that ideally after each shower he will need to dab towel the tiles before leaving as these tiles will hold water on the face and the ( dirty crevice!!!!!) this can then evaporate and produce a mineral salt , this left to build can be difficult to remove and becomes unsightly very quickly.

A

Alexb

If you trying to put him off, you might mention - that ideally after each shower he will need to dab towel the tiles before leaving as these tiles will hold water on the face and the ( dirty crevice!!!!!) this can then evaporate and produce a mineral salt , this left to build can be difficult to remove and becomes unsightly very quickly.
Thanks guys for your help, will definitely try to talk him out of it.

S

Spare Tool

Had this issue a couple of months ago, customer wanted a strip of split faced slate down the centre of a shower cubicle, talked her out of it and fixed a high level border around the room instead, well out of the way of imminent water damage ;)
WP_20160401_15_45_02_Pro.jpg

A

Alexb

Paul and the guys, I had a chat with the customer today, showed him all the comments on the forum and managed him to change his mind. Thanks all for your help.

T

Tile Shop

Good choice, but more importantly, a safe choice. There are quite a few realistic looking imitations. Just gotta shop around for them.

Reply to Split Face Tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks