Discuss Tiling a full bathroom in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Pete c

-
Reaction score
I’m about to remove and replace in same place my bathroom and fittings. I am planning on tiling walls and floor with 600x600 tiles. Please could someone help
Me on planning this. Do I baton above bath then all way round? Do I tile window wall first. ? Also some of the plaster has come off leaving render. Can I tile On render ?

Reaction score
Hi Pete, as a professional can I give you some tips if your planning on doing it yourself?.

When using that size tile on the walls the substrate needs to be flat as possible otherwise it will be hard for someone who isn’t a professional to get tiles flat and with enough adhesive too be properly stuck.

You can stick to bonding it just needs to be primed with a decent tilers primer not pva.

Centre each wall if possible if there is a window try centre the tile to the window so you have even cuts around the window not the wall.

For a rookie I’d suggest a baton so your tiles don’t slip as 600x600s with adhesive will slip down the wall and you’ll get yourself in a mess.

Prep is key the flatter the walls the easier tiling it will be, back butter each tile along with spreading the wall with a 12mm trowel for that size tile for maximum coverage.

Before you put any tiles on the wall make sure you have good cuts around windows, doors, bath and to the floor and ceiling. The marking out makes or breaks a room so take your time and good luck 🤞.

Pete c

-
Reaction score
Hi Pete, as a professional can I give you some tips if your planning on doing it yourself?.

When using that size tile on the walls the substrate needs to be flat as possible otherwise it will be hard for someone who isn’t a professional to get tiles flat and with enough adhesive too be properly stuck.

You can stick to bonding it just needs to be primed with a decent tilers primer not pva.

Centre each wall if possible if there is a window try centre the tile to the window so you have even cuts around the window not the wall.

For a rookie I’d suggest a baton so your tiles don’t slip as 600x600s with adhesive will slip down the wall and you’ll get yourself in a mess.

Prep is key the flatter the walls the easier tiling it will be, back butter each tile along with spreading the wall with a 12mm trowel for that size tile for maximum coverage.

Before you put any tiles on the wall make sure you have good cuts around windows, doors, bath and to the floor and ceiling. The marking out makes or breaks a room so take your time and good luck 🤞.
Thank you for the reply. Apart
From pva what can I use please. Also what do you mean by the last paragraph. Sorry for sounding stupid. Lol.

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. Apart
From pva what can I use please. Also what do you mean by the last paragraph. Sorry for sounding stupid. Lol.
Sorry for the late reply meaning make sure you have big cuts everywhere when and not small ones

Reply to Tiling a full bathroom in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks