Discuss Skirting tiles & fitting uncoupling membrane in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

O

On one

Hi All. I need a hand with pricing a job please.
A 130m2 of 300mm x 300mm porcelain tiles on a heated concrete floor in 4 different rooms. That isn't a problem pricing wise,but I could do with a hand pricing,laying 130m2 of uncoupling membrane and 80 linear metres of skirting tiles.(labour only)
So if you wouldn't mind chucking in your pennysworth it would be appreciated.

S

Spare Tool

£5 a metre for ditra seems a bit dear to me, rex id put in 2 days at your dayrate for that, £5 plm about right for skirts

O

On one

Thanks Lads
2 days for the uncoupling should see me ok......nice long runs,minimal cuts.

S

Spare Tool

Well I'd go minimum £4 / m² . 70m² of ditra in a day is a lot imho.

Diggy
Not arguing Diggy, your price is what it is mate, 130m of ditra over 2 eight hour days is only 8m an hour, should easily get that down..

O

Old Mod

Sounds full on! 10mins for 1.2m!
130m2 to scrape,clean, sweep and maybe prime, that's not an hours work I know!
8m2 ish is probably one mix, if ur using rapid, sorry if I was using rapid I would want my bucket washed completely clean between mixes. (Otherwise shorter lot life time next mix)
Then the Ditra has to be rolled out cut and trimmed in possibly (if its multi room that's a fair bit of trimming) then tamped or rolled into the adhesive air extracted.
Are the joints taped? That's not a five min job if done correctly with Kerdi Coll.
I'm assuming @Dan that calculation applies to the whole day without any kind of break?
Not saying it can't be done obviously, I can't, its just an observation.
I also tend to use any little extra I make on installing Ditra for those silly hidden extras haha
Not disputing any of the above advice at all!
Just running the job past myself, out loud!:D

O

Old Mod

80 linear metres of skirting tiles

Do u have to cut skirting a from main floor tiles?
How are u finishing the top edge, trim, grout, silicone, something else?
If it's trim, how many mitres do u have to cut at transitions?
External corners are there many?
Are they mitred tiles or trim or butted up?
Are the wall lines good? (Flat) is there packing out/up to do?
Then there's silicone between floor and skirting transition to do.

Just little things that often slip your mind when quoting I think.

S

Spare Tool

Sounds full on! 10mins for 1.2m!
130m2 to scrape,clean, sweep and maybe prime, that's not an hours work I know!
8m2 ish is probably one mix, if ur using rapid, sorry if I was using rapid I would want my bucket washed completely clean between mixes. (Otherwise shorter lot life time next mix)
Then the Ditra has to be rolled out cut and trimmed in possibly (if its multi room that's a fair bit of trimming) then tamped or rolled into the adhesive air extracted.
Are the joints taped? That's not a five min job if done correctly with Kerdi Coll.
I'm assuming @Dan that calculation applies to the whole day without any kind of break?
Not saying it can't be done obviously, I can't, its just an observation.
I also tend to use any little extra I make on installing Ditra for those silly hidden extras haha
Not disputing any of the above advice at all!
Just running the job past myself, out loud!:D
Hmmm now you put it like that think I underestimated, was just thinking about mixing and rolling out the ditra, good half a day in cleaning n priming. Could be nearer 3 days before you get a tile down with setting out..
I take it all back Diggy :)

O

On one

Do u have to cut skirting a from main floor tiles?
How are u finishing the top edge, trim, grout, silicone, something else?
If it's trim, how many mitres do u have to cut at transitions?
External corners are there many?
Are they mitred tiles or trim or butted up?
Are the wall lines good? (Flat) is there packing out/up to do?
Then there's silicone between floor and skirting transition to do.

Just little things that often slip your mind when quoting I think.
Hi 3-Fall. I see where your coming from......just like a prospective customer ringing you up out of the blue and asking what your £m2 is?
Hope the following helps you,to help me!
The skirting will be cut from the main tiles
No trims,just a grout finish to the top.
No external corners only internal corners,butted up,
Walls are good,
Siliconing,I am pricing as a separate item.

O

Old Mod

I thought I already tried to help! Haha
Asking u to break down the job into individual items so that u can put a time scale to it.
Personally tho, to fit ready made skirting tiles, not ones I have to fabricate labour only I'd be pretty close to the fivers people have already mentioned. I'd probably want more to make them as well!
I find when pricing I do the job in my head first, in the smallest of detail that I can, and break it down that way.
I find I'm less likely to make mistakes.
There's so much we do automatically in our job it's easy to overlook when pricing.
Just think it through and don't cut corners, your price is what it is mate, if u sell it right and convince them your the only guy on the planet capable of doing it, won't matter bout the price!
YOU CAN COME DOWN, YOU TRY GOING BACK UP! :)

M

m3fitter

Ditra £5.00 a metre labour / adhesive 1 bag per 10 sq.metres based on 6mm notch
bespoke cut & fix skirtings with trim labour @ £8.00 per linear metre
this is a normal cost, even for the Big boys Berkeleys, Millgate etc..
As a rule, if the project is over 5k, then start looking at the overall margin, as opposed to sq.metre margin.. as they will ;-)

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Just spotted this. 3_fall and I did an 80sqm plank with tiled skirts. Ditra too with it up behind the skirts and banded with kerdi coll. It's not as quick to get down as you may think.
Long runs also increase the chances if air pockets under the ditra too. So factor in a roller (purchase ir hire) ad they come in very handy.

M

m3fitter

Ali,
The Kerdi banding to bond the ditra is rare to fit, mainly architect spec'd for damp or waterproofing reasons.
Expect to prime, cut & adhere ditra @ approx. 12-15 sq.metres per hour
ps: when are you coming over to us ;-)

Reply to Skirting tiles & fitting uncoupling membrane in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley