Search the forum,

Discuss Self level over floor tiles possible or not? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Ciscobloke01

Hi,

I am looking to lay vinyl flooring in my Kitchen/diner but first would have to take up the floor tiles in kitchen and laminate in dining area. I would then probably use a self levelling compound to get nice and smooth/level for the vinyl.

I then thought to myself why not save the hassle of lifting up all the floor tiles and just lift the laminate then use a self levelling compound over entire floor covering tiles and get level that way.

Does anyone know if this is possible and if so am I best priming/sealing the tiled area first? Will the SLC stick to tiles? They seem to be ceramic or porcelain with a shiny finish.

cheers in advance

Reaction score
You can do It but its not worth it. You would have to check all tiles with hammer for voids and fill if any found, clean tiles to remove dirt, grease etc.. Then prime.
Personally I would lift tiles.
It could save you a fortune on SLC if your trying to self level over tiles and build the dining room height up to the same level.

C

Ciscobloke01

Thanks for reply. My thinking was that the skirting boards either look to be resting on the tiles or that by lowering the floor then putting vinyl down i'll have some make good work to do on the skirting.

You say prime, whats best to use?

L

Lodger

I use the weber PR360 primer and weber floorflex. The primer helps adhesion to the floor and flow for better spread and levelling.

Reply to Self level over floor tiles possible or not? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen