Discuss Sealant for Tavertine tiles in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Evening,

I've purchased tavertine tiles for kitchen and bathroom floor, and wall in bath area.

I plan to seal these (using a mini roller) post fixing but pre grouting, and seal them again after they've been grouted. I bought Fila Intensifier from Topps recently and am now worried that this won't be any good.

Can you please give me some hints and tips on a) sealingt the tiles and b) what sealant to use (unbiased of course...)

Thanks,

D

Daz

Hi & welcome.

Is it filled or un-filled trav, honed, tumbled or polished please?

Thanks,
Daz

M

Mike

you should not pre seal them if you're filling them with the grout as it may not stick in the pores of the tile. i like to use jasmine grout with travertine as it matches the tile when filling, then after cleaning the tiles then seal

Thanks Mike - good tip.

I've got limestone grout as the travertine is quite cream, similar to limestone (and the tile showroom used imestone and it looked v good.)

Cheers

M

Mike

i hate using limestone, i find it very gritty and more difficult to get smooth. i used it recently and regretted after i started but felt it was too much work to clean off and start again. i suggest trying a little section and see if you like the finish before you grout a whole wall

P

Perry

As mike says seal it after it's grouted all limestone grouts are different limestone is a colour not a grout

Cheers PJC - it's BAL, so a well known brand and should be relatively easy to use. I'll seal after grouting.

D

DHTiling

The sealer you have got does darken the stone, is this a look you are after, if not then switch to an impregnator without enhancement .
As always,if a person is not used to working with stone , then a pre-seal is advised.

Sent from my iPhone

Reply to Sealant for Tavertine tiles in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay