Search the forum,

Discuss rubi batten holder or tiletracker in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

Handyeire

Mate get yourself a decent laser
And wooden battens
The rubi battens are absolute
Tile tracker is just a gimmick
Tile whatever way suits you
If you prefer battens use battens
If you prefer to tile off a line do it that way
Screw battens into gyproc or masonry nails into brick
It really is that simple,if you can leave a finish the way you are doing it why do you want to waste money on bits of metal?

I'm getting the dewalt dw088k in a few weeks. The reason why I'm wanting a rubi or tile tracker is that most of the work I'm getting now is in old Irish houses or cottages made with stone and plastered over and when I bang a masonry nail in, its bouncing off or when I do eventually get them in, most times it ain't in properly. Its a pain in the hole most times. A y new houses I do, masonry nails go in not a problem and I get a true level all around the room with my battens but different story altogether in these older houses. :(

H

Handyeire

A datum line is a level line marked around the room, I use a laser now but used to use a level to draw the line around, as long as your datum meets up your tiles will.
You can also use the datum to check your ceiling levels and floor levels, using this method you can land a full tile over a door casing, shower tray or bath(if there level) under or over a window starting from the other side of the room.
Have used it to meet up a 6x6 tile over 300sqm over 4 rooms with 2 of us doing the job and was bang on.
Everyone has there own way of doing things and as long as you give a first class finish and your customer is happy then stick to it.
Just know what works for me...

I thought that's what you meant and its how I've always did it but like I mention in previous post, these older houses are a nightmare to get battens set properly.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Imo alot depends on the tile. A lot of adhesives will hold a tile in place so you can datum half way up the wall and work down alot quicker than batton.
Heavy tiles work of the floor or batton either way its a pain in the arse..lol

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I Always silicone where floor meets wall...:thumbsup:

I'm lost at what dash means ?
Does he mean if your tiling the floor, leave bottom tile off the wall, tile floor(assuming the floor is going to be tiled last) then put the wall tile in cos it looks better ???
I don't get it , what's the difference ? Why does it look pants, when it's grouted and siliconed I can't tell either way [emoji15]

S

stephenoneill

Use a laser :mark from the bottom of the second tile from the floor.use a 2meter aluminium straight edge and use the boxs of tiles to support the straight edge simples

D

Dash J

I'm lost at what dash means ?
Does he mean if your tiling the floor, leave bottom tile off the wall, tile floor(assuming the floor is going to be tiled last) then put the wall tile in cos it looks better ???
I don't get it , what's the difference ? Why does it look pants, when it's grouted and siliconed I can't tell either way [emoji15]

you can definitely tell the difference wilder,cutting into a tiled floor is a better finish I stand by that

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
you can definitely tell the difference wilder,cutting into a tiled floor is a better finish I stand by that

I don't see it myself dash( it looking any better) but like I've always said,everyone works different ,as long as it looks right when finished , you can start in the top left hand corner with a half a tile and work your way down as long as it look right at the end [emoji41][emoji106]

I

Ian

If there's a bead of silicone between wall and floor (as there should be), you can't tell if it wall tiled down to floor or floor tiled up to wall.

Reply to rubi batten holder or tiletracker in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen