Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Retiling existing flooring in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hello Team,

We moved into our current house a couple of years ago. The tiles were laid out throughout the floor with wet underfloor heating (approx 100sqm)...not sure how long before we bought the house. Over the last 2 years, we have seen grout come out for many of the tiles as well as the tile themselves either coming loose or cracking. As such we are looking to have the tiles replaced.

We have few tilers come over and say that laying an anti-crack decoupling membrane and laying the new tiles over it will solve the issue. One of them did mention that the underfloor hating might have been switched on too high too soon once the tiles were laid initially and probably that is the reason the tiles are coming loose. None of them suggested to remove the cement boards laid below and redo the job?

So my question now is whether anti crack mat is all that is required? Or if there a need to remove the cement boards and revisit the screed?

Thank for all your help in advance.

Thank you.

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
What is the make up of the floor? floorboards overlaid with cement board??

How is the wet UFH fitted?

Reaction score

I wish could provide that info...Dont know as the floor not opened up yet.

Where I might be wrong is there arent any cement boards but just floorboards

Reaction score

Also, one of the tiler said to leave the previous adhesive as it is as tiles would come off clean...and then just lay anti crack and tile over.

Reaction score
You need to see what is underneath those tiles first before we can advise.
Thanks for bearing with me...Ok...so found a part where its half exposed...under floor heating screed with wooden beams for support in between and then floorboards laid on top

Reaction score
You need to see what is underneath those tiles first before we can advise.
Probably these pictures can help

Attachments

• 20210201_191644.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210201_191652.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 23

Reply to Retiling existing flooring in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks