Search the forum,

Discuss putting ply down? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

gman82

Hi,

i'm laying a tiles onto a wooden floor and looks as if i'll be using about 6m ply, unless you know if i can tile direct onto the boards (planks not t+g) but had 2 things i was unsure of.

1.can i tile directly onto the ply or will i have to seal it with something first or is there waterproof ply i need to use.

2. due to the shape of the room i'll have to use 2 seperate sheets of ply, should i join these up right together or leave a small gap for them to settle with the weight.

Any advice would be welcomed

Cheers

D

DevonR

Hello,

First off make sure all floor boards are secure and if not make secure. I would prime the ply before tiling onto it even though it should be 18mm marine ply you use. Six mm isn't really going to be thick enough. You need to stagger it and leave an expansion gap too. No more nails it to the boards and secure at 300mm centres taking care to avoid screwing down through water pipes. You will need a multi flex adhesive and a flexible grout too.

Reply to putting ply down? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen