Search the forum,

Discuss Problems with porcelain tiles cracking in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

jonnyc

Doing a master bathroom with 600 x600 porcelain tiles.
having a problem with tiles cracking either during process of doing a rectangular cut out for push flush or even days after fixed.
this has happened before with others tiles but not all porcelain.
cutting with a good quality blade .
maybe it is heat or vibration but there's must be fault with some of these tiles as I have seen tiles crack 8 months down the line when just being cut and stuck round an external corner.
any advice on how to cut without cracking appreciated.

P

Peter

Some are very highly stressed. Might be a case of drilling 4 pilot holes in each corner before cutting the centre out.

J

J Sid

Peter is correct. Drilling holes in the corners will put a radius there and not give the crack a starting point as it would have with a clean 90 degree internal.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Ive had some porca snap in more or less the same place when on a hand cutter, usually out of the same box, does your head in, and it always seems to be when the customer is stood next to you :(

andyb1

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I had spme porcelain tiles earlier this year and could not get them to cut with anything, put a stop to the job as they were quite expensive customer went back to where they got them from, turns out they were a problem tile had the whole lot refunded.

T

Time's Ran Out

Well this is a new one on me !
Mind you out of 40 years of tiling it's only the last 12 years that porcelain has been in vogue and unless I've upset the customer ( which is possible) no one has come back to ask me to replace a tile! As for cutting there has been some tough ones but never given up yet!

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
To be fair dave,some tiles are crap,and won't cut with owt, have a look at Phil hobsons thread on it as well.
As fair as I'm aware Phil is a fairly good tiler ;) and they couldn't cut them tiles even a sigma :)

Reply to Problems with porcelain tiles cracking in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen