Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Preping for a shower re-fit.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

Gregs

Hi,

We have been living in our house for 7 years, and have had a persistent problem with the shower in our en-suite leaking, to such a point we stopped using it 2 years ago...

The property was new when we bought it and Persimmon the 'builder' failed to fix the leak long term despite multiple attempts.

Today I plucked up the courage/effort to start taking it out. Didn't take long to find out what was wrong - there were tiles missing! - at the point the screen passes over the freeze on some of the tiles, they had simply left them out to avoid the standoff, well it would have taken 10mins to do the right thing?! :incazzato:

Anyhow, all tiles are now off, and I can see the state of the plasterboard behind which I need to replace. I intend replacing this with moisture resistant PB, tanking and re-tiling with products recommended on here.

My question is with regard to the position of the tray - it currently sits against the studding, with the PB above the tray, should I leave it like this or pull the tray out so that the PB goes behind?

Any other tips gratefully recieved!

Greg

T

Time's Ran Out

Greggs - Love your cornish pasties!:drool5:

As you are at that strip out stage it would be better to remove all the plasterboard and fit Wedi/similar to the walls.
If you have a square area for the tray move it out slide the NEW Wedi board down the side and complete silicone seal the tray in.
Make sure you seal /tape all the corners and joints.:thumbsup:

Timeless John.

D

div

as above

had you not thought of informing NHBC i take it its a new build so should have 10year guarantee.
saves you time and money?

G

Gregs

thanks for the comments.

NHBC worth slightly less than the paperwork you get... several others on our estate have been down that road (and back again!) with much more serious issues. Might have some use if the house were to fall down!

John - is the Wedi necessary if I am tanking as well?

D

div

have you informed your insurance co. or even get the the TTA involved.sounds like you have some form of case ..i only say this because are you going to be doing the job on yourself?

G

Gregs

have you informed your insurance co. or even get the the TTA involved.sounds like you have some form of case ..i only say this because are you going to be doing the job on yourself?

No I haven't, in all honesty I'm more interested in just getting it sorted - have been through the angry bit a few years ago!

D

div

Some of the storys I've heard, about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike

a lot off the jobs i have re-done have been comical...one guy even told a house owner he could tile a MOTORBIKE....before he commenced to tile their dinner/kitchen floor..he put steps in it for them ...TO THE SINK...lol

D

div

a lot off the jobs i have re-done have been comical...one guy even told a house owner he could tile a MOTORBIKE....before he commenced to tile their dinner/kitchen floor..he put steps in it for them ...TO THE SINK...lol

really bad lippage on that job lol..:yikes:

G

Gazebo

Hi, if the shower tray has any upstands then you need to cut the tray into the walls to enable the tile to sit correctly over the upstand. (or fit the tray then board upto the upstands)
If the tray doesn't have upstands then I would board the entire enclosure with your chosen backer board then fit the tray up to the board , ensuring that it is level and that you have applied silicone on all edges that meet the walls.

Hope this helps

Gary

G

Gregs

Hi, if the shower tray has any upstands then you need to cut the tray into the walls to enable the tile to sit correctly over the upstand. (or fit the tray then board upto the upstands)
If the tray doesn't have upstands then I would board the entire enclosure with your chosen backer board then fit the tray up to the board , ensuring that it is level and that you have applied silicone on all edges that meet the walls.

Hope this helps

Gary

No upstands, so not really sure why they have recessed it under the PB. I've read on here that there is a difference between different boards (waterproof/repellant), i guess that if I am to go without tanking I'd need a water repellant board? What are the options for this - the easily available one (Aquapanel from Wickes) I've read is only waterproof so wouldn't act as a membrane, and other tips gratefully recieved.

Greg

T

Time's Ran Out

They would have recessed the tray under the plasterboard to get a better seal for the tiles onto the tray - however if you have a wooden floor you may find there is going to be some movement and the seal will be broken!
Wedi or aqua board will be suitable for the 'new' walls and waterproof is all you require.:thumbsup:

Timeless John.

Reply to Preping for a shower re-fit.... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks