Search the forum,

Discuss preparation in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Ric

just wondering what peeps do when checking out jobs. If background is unsuitable for tiling onto do you ask for it to be brought up to standard or do you offer to do it yourself ?

G

grumpygrouter

Depends what is required. If the walls are falling down then ask them to get a builder, if the plaster needs replacing I'd suggest they get it replastered. If it is stuff like reboarding I price it myself. Minor stuff is just part of the job really.

Grumps

G

Gazzer

What Grumpy says is the way i do it too. I also have phone numbers of other trades which i can offer to the client.

E

enduro

I also do the same, i have plumbers, plasterers, painters, bricklayers etc who i recommend. Its called networking they also recommend me to people best way to get other trades to put your name forward to people. Wheels within wheels :yes:

R

Ric

i think what im getting at is how far you be prepared to go getting surfaces right before you would bring in other trades to do the job right! i.e. i can dot and dab plasterboard with screws and plugs but not sure i would attempt studing out a full bathroom etc. If it was a kitchen splashback that needed some rapid flex to fill a few hollows then also i am getting more competent at that... thanks for the input much apppreciated

D

DHTiling

It's pretty simple really Ric............if you don't think you are competent to take the task on then you get some one who can......much easier than trying to do something that you are not competent to do and bodge it, then have to get someone in to correct it...........so if in doubt...sub it out...........

W

White Room

I do all the prep where wall's are concerned sometime's the floor's as well, The customer's prefer that rather than chasing for other trade's.

D

DEN

In answer to your question,i suppose it just comes down to your capabilities,if you are comfortable and competent enough to do the work then by all means do so,i think its fair comment to say that most customers would prefer for all the work to be done by the same person,but isn't always possible.
Everyone has their limits,but i think by and large minor prep work is not a problem for the majority of people,but those with more strings to their bow would obviously earn a lot more money doing all the work necessary i.e plastering,plumbing,electrics etc,etc..
Me personally i would be happier just to be able to put the tiles on the wall or floor and thats it..

F

floydyboy

yea i aggree with all the boys coments , but being aterer by trade i can do most of the work expected before tiling comences and the customers love it, minimum hastle:hurray:

Reply to preparation in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen