Search the forum,

Discuss Porcelain tiles lifting from concrete floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I

iris2013

We are removing the tiles installed on my kitchen floor as they are lifting on their own. As we remove the tiles I've noticed that the adhesive used is glued to the concrete floor but none of it has adhered to the tile itself. I don't know anything about installing tiles but to me it seems strange that the porcelain tiles are coming out clean. Is that normal?

I

iris2013

I don't think there is any under floor heating. I am on the 3rd floor and the area underneath me has the same floor plan and it is a walking area.

I

iris2013

I have no idea what adhesive was used. I bought this place new not quite 6 years ago. Have no idea what they used

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

peru ? they may well have been laid in wet sand and cemment are they tiled wall to wall you may well have movement here forcing the porcs to lift under presure and they can come up clean even if back buttered as the adhesive holds porcs more than sticks if the tiles to the outside edge are still holding and the ones to the centre are loose you are dealing with movment

S

steve187

If the method used in Peru is anything like Thailand ,the tiles are laid solely on the wet sand and cement bed, no adhesive or back buttering, always a problem wait to happen.

D

DHTiling

We are removing the tiles installed on my kitchen floor as they are lifting on their own. As we remove the tiles I've noticed that the adhesive used is glued to the concrete floor but none of it has adhered to the tile itself. I don't know anything about installing tiles but to me it seems strange that the porcelain tiles are coming out clean. Is that normal?

More info needed ... adhesive type ... method of application , and pics of said floor..

I

iris2013

Ray, your comments about movement have kept me thinking. The porcelain tiles were installed in the laundry room and kitchen area. The floor runs from the laundry room into the kitchen as they are adjacent to each other. The tiles lifting started in the laundry room where the dryer and washing machines are installed. Mainly it started about where the dryer is located and there is some shaking from the dryer when in use. Maybe that is the cause of the problem even though the machine was not in use at the time the lifting occurred. Maybe porcelain floor in the laundry room was not a good idea. All the tiles in the laundry room have been removed and we are ready to install new ones. What type of tiles do you suggest we use instead of porcelain for that part of the floor? If it can be avoided I would like to leave the kitchen untouched.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

theres no problem using porcelain tiles in a laundry room in fact that is what i would use the washing machine on its own should not make tiles come up when the tiles started to come up did they just come loose or did you see then start to lift in a v shape to a slight point between two tiles .i would check the floor you are going to lay them back on for cracks if you cant see any that stand out .then spray the floor lightly with water this will make any cracks stand out as they can open up and close again making them hard to spot .if no cracking and the floor is sound relay the tiles using a flexible porcelain adhesive make sure to leave exspansion between the door ways and leave 8mm joint around perimter wall should do the trick

I

iris2013

I wanted to send you pictures of the floor but the upload never completed. :-( They had to remove the adhesive from the concrete floor with a chisel and a hammer while the tiles came out clean. If I figure out how to send you a picture I will do so.

S

Stef

Without seeing the job, it sounds as though the wrong adhesive was used.
If those tiles have came out clean then I would reuse them.
As said above lay them with a flex adhesive suitable for porcelain tiles.

Reply to Porcelain tiles lifting from concrete floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen