Discuss Ply floor in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jagspit

Hi all, first time on the site, sorry if this has been covered before, but have trawled through and cant find anything exactly the same. I am replacing a t&g wood bathroom floor, am using one whole 8x4 sheet of 19mm marine ply, have doubled up on joists and fitted noggins at 400mm spacings and intend to screw the ply every 100mm or so.
1/Will this be strong enough? am going to use Vitra 450x450 porcelain tiles.
2/Have bought BAL SBR primer. BAL's fixing guide states:- Do not seal plywood surfaces to be tiled. Should I have bought primer?
3/Can you please advise which adhesive and grout to use? looking forward to your sugestions.
Thanks,Chas.

I

Ian

Your ply is thick enough, the main thing is to ensure you have no deflection (bounce) in the floor. If you can afford the extra height, I'd overboard with a cement board as it's a much more suitable surface to tile to. As for adhesive and grout, ensure both are flexible and use one of the big brands ie; Mapei, Weber, BAL

Sent from iPhone using tapatalk

S

Stewart

As long as floor is deflection free (no bounce) after being fitted it should be fine. I would also install 6 mm cement board (no more ply) on top of this glued and screwed to give the ideal surface to tile to as ply can be problematic, especially in bathrooms. Also make sure you prime the back and the edges of the ply..

Created on iPhone.....

R

Rich

Top advice from the gents above. It sounds like you will be left with a very solid floor but as has been said above the best way to proceed would be a backer board over the top, this would give you an excellent surface to bond to. I avoid tiling directly on to ply but many other have no problem with it, if you decide to tile straight onto the ply I would us an S2 adhesive and use the primer on the underside and edges of the ply.

Have a read through the link below for a little more info on tiling onto ply.

[h=3]Plywood floors...[/h]

J

jagspit

Thanks to you all, I will take your advice and get 6mm Hardiboard, and after investigating intend to use Rapidset flexible between ply and Hardiboard, and Fastflex between tiles and board. Does this sound ok or are there better or less costly products? Chas.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi chas,you dont need to buy fast flex,something like mapei keraquik would do the job and is cheaper

sounds a good job you are doing

R

Rich

Are these BAL adhesives? Im not familiar with there range to be honest as I haven't used them for years. If you are intending to use BAL than I would say that you can get the price down a fair bit, BAL are over priced IMO (hence why I haven't used them for years), Is there a Tile Giant near you? Have a look through the link below and see where the nearest store is. They stock Mapei adhesives, highly recommended and at a better price I would have thought. Have a word with the guys there and they should be able to sort you out with what you need :thumbsup:

J

jagspit

Have checked out Mapei prices comared to BAL and they are a lot less expensive. I am in Bedford and have found a Tile Giant in Milton Keynes about 25 miles away, so I'll take a trip over to see them. Thanks again, Chas.

Reply to Ply floor in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

hello Folks, its a tiny area. 1.8 m2. Joists are solid 3 inch wide. Area is upstairs close to...
Replies
Views
I have a small kitchen with a floor area of 265cm x 140cm with the door recess adding another 20...
Replies
Views
hello Folks, its a tiny area. 1.8 m2. Joists are solid 3 inch wide. Area is upstairs close to...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
I'm refitting our bathroom which is about 3m sq and am putting in a wetroom shower in the corner...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay