Search the forum,

Discuss Outdoor Tiling Balcony in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

GlennM

Hi

I have been asked to tile a balcony on the side of an apartment.

As it is outdoors, what is the correct procedure for background preparation and what type of adhesive/grout should I use?

Job description....
Balcony approx 4 sq yds.
Balcony structure is a metal balcony (metal beams) and the flooring seems to be some type of hardened plastic material. When I tap on it, it sounds hollow except for when I tap on the beams obviously.

From looking at the floor, it looks like it was poured/painted on and then it solidified into a really hard plastic. I've never come across anything like this before so I am wondering if it is tileable? If so, how do I prep it?

The floor is slightly uneven and even has a little dip in it which is catching the rain. (forming a small puddle).

One other thing I noticed, when I jump up an down on the balcony there is a very slight vibration in the whole balcony.

The customer is looking to lay a 1 ft squared natural stone/slate tile.

Photos attached to give a better idea. I hope they are helpful.

Any advice offered would be greatly appreciated. If you need more info, let me know.

Thanks
Glenn

balcony1.jpg balcony2.jpg

T

Tenchman

if you laid backer board over it mech fixed and then used a flex adhesive would that take the bounce out of the floor ? just thinking if it flex's that much you need to make the floor rigid if possible.

C

Colour Republic

Hi ya Glenn, Firstly is that a drainage point just below the door? (middle left of the second pic)

also have you goy any pic of the balcony from the front/underneath? i.e. showing the support it has

S

SandyFloor

If it's a steel frame balcony I it unlikely you'll achieve suitable rigidity as steel can flex substantially while still maintaining structural strength and the balcony would have been designed with that in mind. You also need to remember there might be a lot of people on it at once causing it to flex more. I wouldn't tile it personally.

G

GlennM

Thank all for your input.

Tenchman - I dont think this would help make it more rigid.
Its the overall frame that will vibrate so it will still happen.

Colour Reublic - that isn't a drainage point. Its actually a piece of rubbish :) so please ignore. Haven't got a pic from the front. the base is covered in a PVC box unit so the beams aren't actually visible.

Sandyfloor - I think you might be right. My gut feeling is that it might not be tilable because of the movement....

Thanks all for your advice. I really appreciate it.

G

GlennM

Hi Phil

It could be exterior asphalt.

How do I know?

If it is exterior asphalt, can I tile on it?

Thanks

O

oz bound

Yes you can tile on top of it with Bal Flexi weather it be Asphalt or rock Asphalt there can't be to much movement with it being an upper flat If you want proper clearance just call Bal
0845 600 1 222 bal technical

Reply to Outdoor Tiling Balcony in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen