Currently reading:
no damp course in floor ??

Discuss no damp course in floor ?? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

pebbles

hi am hopeing some of you can share some advice to this problem, here goes.
i have a client who has no dpc in his floor and does not want a liquid dpc painted on top prior to having floor laid.
the floor needs to be primed then a few places need some self leveling compound before covering with 600x400 calibrated slate.
can anyone suggest products needed or do i suggest lime morter adh and grout.
any help guys !!!???

S

Sean SML Tiling

hi am hopeing some of you can share some advice to this problem, here goes.
i have a client who has no dpc in his floor and does not want a liquid dpc painted on top prior to having floor laid.
the floor needs to be primed then a few places need some self leveling compound before covering with 600x400 calibrated slate.
can anyone suggest products needed or do i suggest lime morter adh and grout.
any help guys !!!???

Do they have rising damp?

P

pebbles

No they don't have rising damp but their is moisture in the floor and if not allowed to breath will put moisture to the wall causing damp issues around the edge to the walls.
its strange that breathable tile sealers are readily available yet not much info on primers or adhesive that will breath.
Am thinking maybe one to walk away from but I think a lot can be learned if I dig deep as their are a hell of a lot of houses like this in good ol somerset thanks guys

S

Spud

I agree with TilerBarry, but also with Ajax. I would tell the customer to use porcelain tiles that look like slate, instead of slate. No primer, just tile with a suitable adhesive, and a grout that does not contain portland cement, such as UltracolorPlus, to minimise the risk of efflorescence.
not sure porcelain is the right type of material as it wont allow the floor the breath ,thanks for the nice comments on my you tube video

W

wildeywilde

You're right, there's no panacea to magic away all the defects in a poorly constructed workman's cottage with no damp course in the walls, or floor.

In hindsight, their best option is to give up on having any kind of floor covering and just throw straw down (which is probably what was intended when it was built).

Re YouTube, not sure which video or comment you mean, but if I've commented on one of yours, you're very welcome.

Reply to no damp course in floor ?? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement