Search the forum,

Discuss no damp course in floor ?? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

pebbles

hi am hopeing some of you can share some advice to this problem, here goes.
i have a client who has no dpc in his floor and does not want a liquid dpc painted on top prior to having floor laid.
the floor needs to be primed then a few places need some self leveling compound before covering with 600x400 calibrated slate.
can anyone suggest products needed or do i suggest lime morter adh and grout.
any help guys !!!???

J

J Sid

Totally agree, Detra is the way to go. (think I should have shares in the company ) can't remember the last time I didn't use it on a floor, the answer to most problems

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I think a conversation with suchluter first though as I don't think ditra is designed to cope with rising damp. Neither generally at liquid DPM's. they are designed to Cope with residual moisture.

S

Sean SML Tiling

hi am hopeing some of you can share some advice to this problem, here goes.
i have a client who has no dpc in his floor and does not want a liquid dpc painted on top prior to having floor laid.
the floor needs to be primed then a few places need some self leveling compound before covering with 600x400 calibrated slate.
can anyone suggest products needed or do i suggest lime morter adh and grout.
any help guys !!!???

Do they have rising damp?

P

pebbles

No they don't have rising damp but their is moisture in the floor and if not allowed to breath will put moisture to the wall causing damp issues around the edge to the walls.
its strange that breathable tile sealers are readily available yet not much info on primers or adhesive that will breath.
Am thinking maybe one to walk away from but I think a lot can be learned if I dig deep as their are a hell of a lot of houses like this in good ol somerset thanks guys

S

Sean SML Tiling

fair enough I would suggest you follow what Ajax mentioned and call suchluter for info.

T

tilerbarry

As long as there is no wet patches on floor use keraquick adhesive and ultracolour Plus grout and if any moisture comes up it can escape through the joints and evaporate.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As long as there is no wet patches on floor use keraquick adhesive and ultracolour Plus grout and if any moisture comes up it can escape through the joints and evaporate.

And cause a beautiful bloom of efflourecence

W

wildeywilde

I agree with TilerBarry, but also with Ajax. I would tell the customer to use porcelain tiles that look like slate, instead of slate. No primer, just tile with a suitable adhesive, and a grout that does not contain portland cement, such as UltracolorPlus, to minimise the risk of efflorescence.

Reply to no damp course in floor ?? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen