Search the forum,

Discuss New Tilers Support - 2 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

I know is sounds a lot of pennies for learning how to do a wet-room..but wet-rooms are getting more and more popular so if you learn about them then it gives you the edge over fixers who can't do them...so go for it i say.....

K

kgr1979

I am just about to start out on my own, so obviously slightli aprehensive as i havn't been tiling that long. I would just like to know what process most of you guys do at the beginning of a job, i.e bathrooom wall and floor? Obviously i have been taught a certain way, however i would like to pick up any other helpful hints.

N

no1chance23

The Tile & Stone Show - Helping new tilers get started
For all new tilers looking for the best way to get started in the industry come along to The Tile & Stone Show on the 29 June - 1 July at London ExCeL this summer.
Its your chance to meet key figures in the industry to gain advice and network.
What to see
• Seminars with design experts such as Wayne Hemingway and Sebastion Conran
• A huge mix of exhibitors from all parts of the industry
• Business advice from Leo Aspden and Sheila Elliot
• See the latest products and launches - including a new range launched by Plasplugs at the show
and much more
To get your free pass for the show register now at www.thetileandstoneshow.co.uk

S

seapower

Hi, can anyone give me advice on what adhesive to use with victorian clay tiles on to a well layed timber base? I seem to be getting conflicting advise from the various manufacturers. thanks

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi I'm a couple of weeks into a tiling course at central tile training in Coventry. I have really enjoyed the course so far, learnt a lot, and found it to be generally good value.

I am caught in 2 minds weather to do a further 4 and a half day course. This would cover building and then tanking a prefabricated shower base and walls, installing the waste then mosaic tiling the whole thing. Can't remember the make of the prefab kit (aqua -something), but you become a registered installer on the company's books and you can carry their logo etc on your van.

Does this sound decent value for an outlay of £560

I have already paid out for van/tools/course etc which has come to more than I anticipated. I'm still in full time work and only intend doing part time at weekends until things hopefully take off...

Advice to sway me either way would be appreciated, thanks.

Don't forget to leave feedback in the feedback forum. :)

M

mikephillips

Hi all
just finished a job floor tiling over 15mm ply.
Trouble is the theres a small bit of movement in the floor and the grout is starting to crack.

I'm not sure that the grout was flexible.

What can i do to solve this problem.

TIA

Mike

Reaction score
hello folks it takes about 3 1/2 days to do a bathroom of in or around 30 to 40 sq meters charge about 350 to 400 pound dont price jobs by sq. meters as that does not take into account for rough floors/walls which can take up a fair amount of time to prepare. prefection always comes before speed and my customers know that hence the reason for not advertiseing in 4 years i have lost 2 jobs that i have priced. ps i wonder is that also because i am to cheap hhhmmm.
well 350 to 400 pounds for 30 to 40 m2 is very low your doing yourself approx rate is £25-£28 per m2 walls labour adhesive grout and sealant . prep work is seprate charge on a daily rate . think about it you buy your own tools, insurances,run a vehicle, no holiday pay, no sick pay, clothing, so at that rate you are earning around £50 perday once you have paid your tax and i.n and expenses
regards
marbleman

one question how long have you been tiling ,

T

TileSmasher

Evening All,

I'm a new tiler, still wet behind the ears and have my first job next weekend. Just a small 15sq metre, downstairs toilet. I've assesed the job and there is lino glued to the concrete floor.

Does anybody have any tips about removing the glue from the floor once the lino is pulled up?

Cheers!

H

hrgj3270

Evening All,

I'm a new tiler, still wet behind the ears and have my first job next weekend. Just a small 15sq metre, downstairs toilet. I've assesed the job and there is lino glued to the concrete floor.

Does anybody have any tips about removing the glue from the floor once the lino is pulled up?

Cheers!
hi mate i lifted lino a few weeks ago on my first job. the lino i was faced with looked like normal vinyl on top but i was very unpleasently surprised when i tried to lift it. the vinyl was hessian backed and the glue stuck the hessian to the floor even after i had removed the vinyl. i had to scrape for 2 hours or so to remove it from a concrete floor. i also used a small bottle of adhesive thinner that is readily available from DIY shops. i washed the floor after using it just incase it affected the adhesive in anyway.

hope this helps mate
----
Evening All,

Cheers!
hi mate i lifted lino a few weeks ago on my first job. the lino i was faced with looked like normal vinyl on top but i was very unpleasently surprised when i tried to lift it. the vinyl was hessian backed and the glue stuck the hessian to the floor even after i had removed the vinyl. i had to scrape for 2 hours or so to remove it from a concrete floor. i also used a small bottle of adhesive thinner that is readily available from DIY shops. i washed the floor after using it just incase it affected the adhesive in anyway.

hope this helps mate M

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jocky102

hello folks it takes about 3 1/2 days to do a bathroom of in or around 30 to 40 sq meters charge about 350 to 400 pound dont price jobs by sq. meters as that does not take into account for rough floors/walls which can take up a fair amount of time to prepare. prefection always comes before speed and my customers know that hence the reason for not advertiseing in 4 years i have lost 2 jobs that i have priced. ps i wonder is that also because i am to cheap hhhmmm.

damn that is cheap, i charge £23 a squared metre + materials regardless or walls/floors, 30 m2 would cost them around 760ish, i dont advertise either i get all mine from referals, and to the questions on the other tilers on speed, dont worry about it i take my time tiling too, if i take 4 or 5 days i dont care, my reputation is more important than a rush job, im in there 2 days longer than other tilers in most cases, there are tilers and there are finishing tilers, i hopefully belong to the latter... im a firm believer in you get what you pay for

Jock

Reply to New Tilers Support - 2 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen