Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss new builds in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

paul damian

i was asked by a lady 2 days ago could i come over and check her tiles, she thought that some of the tiles were loose, her tiling had been completed by a reputable tiling firm. on arriving at the destination the lady led me to her utility room..above the work tops there was 5 row of tiles high by 7ft long, 4 inch tiles uneven edge. on pressing on the tiles and tapping them with my hands i could tell the only thing holding them together was the tile trim. anyway i was able to take them off with my hands, but it wasnt an adhesion problem and no amount of primer would off made a difference. the skimcoat finish plaster,hardwall, had come away from the wall completely blown off the wall, i pointed out that this was the problem, the lady was distraught , not only was the utility room bad, the kitchen splashback was the same, the main bathroom, and the en-suite. whats going on is it a case that everything has to be rushed these days, did they not wait until the skimcoat dried out , has the the finish coat plaster been hit with frost, did they not bother to wet the sand and cement plaster before applying the hardwall. any answers.

D

Deleted member 9966

how old is the new build paul? she should really go back to the house builder and complain about the finish.

P

paul damian

about 18 months red, the lady is so upset, main builder doesnt want to know, pasted the buck on to the tiler, not his fault what i can see. just no adhesion between plaster and hardwall. its a mess, any ideas what caused it.

D

Deleted member 9966

it really is the house builders problem particularly as the house is still so new.

is it a well known or national house builder or a local?

D

doug boardley

my guess is it's been tiled day after being skimmed, weight of ties have de-bonded skim from basecoat:thumbsdown:

A

aqua blue

Paul, was the wall primed and have you seen blows anywhere else apart from the tiled areas?

W

White Room

quote ; wet the sand and cement plaster before applying the hardwall

Why put hardwall onto sand/cement on a new build ???

P

paul damian

whitebeam it is a bungalow block walls sand and cement with finish skimcoat then tiled . dont know kind of addy was used, but i dont think it would matter anyway. maybe its been plastered with no windows or doors in. frost.

W

White Room

Depends what sand was used, I've seen soft sand used and it's so weak it would'nt hold up a knats d***:oops:

It could be that the Sand/cement had been left to dry then the finish applied which has sucked the moisture out of the finish

Last edited by a moderator:
P

paul damian

aqua just the areas that have been tiled is the problem. noticed in the house an awful lot of shrinkage cracks vertical, and horizontal going right across some of the walls.

Reply to new builds in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks