Search the forum,

Discuss new builds in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

White Room

quote ; wet the sand and cement plaster before applying the hardwall

Why put hardwall onto sand/cement on a new build ???

P

paul damian

whitebeam it is a bungalow block walls sand and cement with finish skimcoat then tiled . dont know kind of addy was used, but i dont think it would matter anyway. maybe its been plastered with no windows or doors in. frost.

W

White Room

Depends what sand was used, I've seen soft sand used and it's so weak it would'nt hold up a knats d***:oops:

It could be that the Sand/cement had been left to dry then the finish applied which has sucked the moisture out of the finish

Last edited by a moderator:
P

paul damian

aqua just the areas that have been tiled is the problem. noticed in the house an awful lot of shrinkage cracks vertical, and horizontal going right across some of the walls.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Was the skim applied under 5 deg? same rule for adhesive, sand/cement renders, and gypsum based plaster:oops:

A

aqua blue

I think doug may be right....."my guess is it's been tiled day after being skimmed, weight of ties have de-bonded skim from basecoat"

Or the whole plasterwork is shot.

Reply to new builds in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.