Search the forum,

Discuss New Bathroom/wetroom Project in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

hardybarlow

Folks, hope you can help.

I'm currently having a new extension built and will be having a new bathroom upstairs. In the bathroom, I intend to have a wet room. As such, I have a few questions

The bathroom will have a new wooden floor joists as part of the extension and I expect they will be plumb. It is currently the plan to install 22mm T&G floor boards. How should I prepare the subfloor for tiling? Should I continue to use the T&G floorboards and overboard with tile backer or have WBP installed and then overboard with tile backer? If the later, what thickness?

The bathroom will be tiled with 300mm x 600mm tiles on the walls and floors. As such, I understand I will need to have tile backer boards installed. Which brand is the best and how are they fixed to brick walls? Which thickness should I use? Can you use the tile backer board on floor? Should the tile baker board sit on top of the wet room former or should the wet room former butt up to the tile backer board? Do I need to use tile backer board all the way around the bathroom or in the wetroom/floor only?

I am currently thinking of using an Impey linear Aqua dec. Has anyone used this product and can they recommend it? I believe it is 22mm thick and it is advised to install noggins and 18mm WBP in between the joist underneath the aqua dec. What is the best way to make sure the aqua dec is level with the sub floor? I have read on this forum that a gulley collar is required to make the aqua dec 100% water proof, is this still the case? Also, will the aqua dec accept tiles sized 300mm x 600mm?

Which is the best tanking kit to use? Impey produce some but does anyone have any experience with their products? Are they any good and which one should I use? Which tile adhesive should I use for wetroom/bathroom tiles and will it have an impact on the afore mentioned tanking kit?

Think that's enough for now, thanks in advance.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Imply trays are very good quality. You need to use their tanking. (The devils goo )
they sit on the joists, with noggins fitted around the perimeter. I would put 9mm ply on the top of the joists, then fit the tray to that. Then fit 18mm ply to the rest of the floor. This will make the try's sit 9mm higher than the floor. You can then fit 10mm cement board or 10mm insulation board to the floor.
in the shower area, IMHO, would be to stick insulation boards to the walls, tape and tank the joints. You would then have a waterproof shower area.
Cement board is not waterproof and is not needed for the weight of your tiles.

only my opinion, hope it helps.

H

hardybarlow

Hi Chalker,

Thanks for your help.

The devils goo, I assume you mean tilesafe. What about waterguard? Any good? Believe this is easier to install.

If I put 9mm ply underneath the former, the height of the former will be 31mm (22+9). If I put 18mm of ply on the rest of the floor, it will be 13mm lower than the edge of the height of the former (31-18). If I put 10mm insulation board down, it will be 3mm below the edge of the former, is this correct or a I missing something?

Insulation board, I assume this what Wedi/Marmox board is as oppose to, say, Hardiebacker board?

Thanks
Paul

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi, sorry I thought the imply trays were 18mm.
in that case, fit the tray onto the joists, then use -18mm ply and 6mm insulation board, the 3mm height difference will be taken up with the water guard. Or you could use ditra on the ply.

Reaction score
Devils goo! - Waterguard is our newer refined solution with crack bridging properties and is fully epoxy friendly. Samples available if you'd like. Please just ask.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Devils goo! - Waterguard is our newer refined solution with crack bridging properties and is fully epoxy friendly. Samples available if you'd like. Please just ask.
Thanks for that. Sorry to be ignorant about the tanking, in what way has it changed from the old stuff? Does it still stick to your knees?
I used to use impey trays all the time, as they were mice and solid.
could you send a sample?

I

Ian

Thanks for that. Sorry to be ignorant about the tanking, in what way has it changed from the old stuff? Does it still stick to your knees?
I used to use impey trays all the time, as they were mice and solid.
could you send a sample?

It's only sticky on one side now, (the water guard one), and the top side is a fleece a bit like the homelux one. No more sticking to the floor! Much thinner as well, really nice product.

Reply to New Bathroom/wetroom Project in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hello I purchased new bathroom supply installation from B&Q they pointed a contractor he told...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm tiling the floor of a wetroom and would like some advice on the best way to lay the...
Replies
Views
Hi, A newcomer here and thank you to anyone with the patience to read my drivel. I am...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am installing a shower/wet room in an upstairs on suite. Shower tray will be installed...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen