Search the forum,

Discuss Need help with staining or etching on polished porcelain tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

daveshil

Hi all - Hope you're not working too hard over the weekend...!

I'm not exactly sure what is causing this problem but I will try to explain - I have laid some cream coloured polished porcelain tiles and grouted with limestone colour grout. Most of the job has turned out fine - but on a few tiles their are some marks which have been caused by grout which had not been cleaned off properly. These marks don't seem to have discoloured the tiles but seem to have taken the shine off them, almost like etching but I'm not sure if it's that or something else. Can any of you help with this problem

Thanks Dave

J

jay

hi and :welcome:might be easier if you can post some pictures of the effected area has the porc been sealed yet

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rich

As above, pics would help.

Sounds like they haven't been sealed?

Can you give a bit more detail on how you laid them?

D

daveshil

Hi guys... Thanks for the quick response and warm welcome. I have attched a few pics (have to get the lighting just right to capture them) So not great I'm afraid. The tiles are supposed to be pre sealed and I have done some tests on offcuts with the usual culprits - Sauces, cooking oil, vinegar , tea and coffee (all left for a couple of hours) and there are no stains. So - It doesn't make sense at the moment! View attachment 29315 View attachment 29316 View attachment 29317 View attachment 29318 View attachment 29319 They were laid on fext setting fleible adhesive straight onto concrete - doesn't seem to any probs there - I'm sure it's something to do with the grout... It's sort of left a matt effect, or etched, is the best I can descibe it!

D

daveshil

Image0110.jpg Image0113.jpg Image0112.jpg Image0111.jpg Image0115.jpg

Hopefully that does it - JPEGs so should be OK...

Nano sealed? I will have to check that one out!

Thanks
Dave

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi what type of grout was used?

is it possible that you used a sandy grout and it has slightly scratched the porcelain?

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
are the marks just round the grouted edges as i think they are? if so did you just grout around the lines area and not the whole face of the tile

were they sold to you as nano finished tiles(some say they dont need sealed)

polished porc needs sealed and im thinking you havent sealed these and grouted?

Reply to Need help with staining or etching on polished porcelain tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen