Search the forum,

Discuss My Project: Kitchen Floor Tiling 300 x 300mm in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

dantheram

Evening all,

i'm about to start my first tiling project and thought i'd share it on here an see what advice, tips or suggestions might pop up.

i'm tiling (300mm x 300mm ceramic tiles) a 8sqm kitchen floor with a few cuts to make around units. I'm laying 6mm insulation boards and then 5sqm of heating mat before tiling.

my questions are; what trowel shall i use when tiling (using a 10mm round notched trowel for the boards) and should i undercut the door fames or just cut tiles to fit round them? Also, is it difficult to get things level when going from heat mat to just insulation board - assume it just a case of making up the depth with adhesive?

Many thanks,

Dan

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Re: My Project

6mm insulation boards are hardly worth over a concrete floor IMO. Can you fit deeper ones in??

Reaction score

Dan, If your in Derby and require sound technical advice then pop along to our showroom just off Stores Road (address in signature)

Lee

D

dantheram

Dan, If your in Derby and require sound technical advice then pop along to our showroom just off Stores Road (address in signature)

Lee

Cheers Lee

i think im getting there now but may well pop in.

im going to trowel out a bed of adhesive with a 6mm notched trowel and lay the insulation boards. then lay the UFH mat and cover in SLC (mapei ultrabond renovation screed) at 3/4mm. then tile with a 10mm trowel.

would have loved to get some more depth in on the boards but it's going to raise the floor level too much.

D

dantheram

Quick question -

my UFH mats came with a primer called fast heat, this stuff says it basically a barrier to prevent heat loss. However, i have laid insulation board. So, i need to prime these boards to accept SLC, can i use the fast heat product or should i buy something else (i also have a tub of benfer primer going spare)

Any advice much appreciated,

Dan

D

dantheram

Obviously the SLC photo is in the wrong place but the above is my first job finished - apart from a few minor things :)

Thanks to everyone who has helped me out!

Reply to My Project: Kitchen Floor Tiling 300 x 300mm in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I’m ripping out a failed existing tiled floor. Tiles had not been back buttered so...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I’ve a fairly basic question I thinks, hope someone can help me out with. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views
I’m tiling a ground floor of a house approx 120m through a ground floor with 5 doorways in the...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen