Discuss Mosaic onto kitchen unit in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

jstrats

TF
Hello stars of the tiling world, hope everyone is well, been a while since i posted on here, need a bit of advice, hope someone can help, customer wants to tile kitchen units in mosaic (see pic attached) she wants to construct the unit out of ply, i have suggested sticking 4mm Marmox on top of this prior to tiling, how would you go about this?

Also she is having UFH and using the following method:
- We'll ensure the existing floor is absolutely level first (use self-levelling compound)

- Thin foil insulation
- Polypipe Overlay 18mm screed panel with pipes
- De-coupling layer - Dural DURABASE CI++ matting
- mosaic tiling on top

Anybody see any flaws? Do you think this method would be ok with thin white ceramic mosaic?

Muchos regards, Jamie.

kitchen unit mosaic.jpg

C

Colour Republic

I'm struggling to work out your design.

I take it some of the displayed drawing is going to act as a worktop? If so you just won't have the structural strength in marmox. Especially over the span it appears to be, although again hard to tell as there are no dimensions on the drawing.

First work out what materials would be structurally stable over the spans needed and also straight andtrue, then decide which of those materials are best suited to tiling

O

Old Mod

- De-coupling layer - Dural DURABASE CI++ matting
- mosaic tiling on top

Anybody see any flaws? Do you think this method would be ok with thin white ceramic mosaic?

Muchos regards, Jamie.

hey jstrats, as far Durabase is concerned 50x50 is smallest recommended tile size. Maybe something like the new Bal De-coupler would work!
Well Bal say it's suitable for Mosaic!

BAL Adhesives - Products - rapid-mat

N

Nina

Thank you so much for the tips, and thanks Jstrats for starting the thread.

To fill in the information the floor tile is the 25mm white ceramic mosaics.

The L-shaped kitchen counter unit needs to be self-supporting, although it is not so high (425mm), it is required to span over a horizontal distance of approximately 3000 mm. It'll be supported vertically by unit dividers at 400mm intervals. The walls to be tiles are thin: 25mm (tiled on both sides, so the actual thickness would be 18mm)

I wanted to use a product that is both structural and suitable for tiling, so I called up both Marmox Multiboard and Kerdi boards' technical teams. I was told that the Marmox board (20mm) would require vertical supports at 200mm intervals, which would be too narrow in this case. But the Kerdi installed some confidence - I was told the 19mm board would be sufficient. The Kerdi also comes with U-shaped stainless steel profiles, the perforated version would be suitable for tiling onto the edges (?) which also adds additional structural support. I have never constructed anything using this materials before, therefore the idea was solely based on the super strength and versatility shown in the videos. I'd be most grateful if anyone could share their experiences using the Kerdi.

For the floor, I'm using a thin 18mm screedboard Underfloor heating. The area for the mosaics is larger than usual (about 46 sqm). Initially I was thinking of covering the UFH boards with 6mm Hardibacker board with a flexible adhesive and clout nails. Now I wonder if it'd be more straight forward to use self-levelling compound instead, although my concern is that it might crack. Any suggestions or recommendations would be much appreciated.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Mosaic onto kitchen unit in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I was hoping I could get a little advice. Currently doing a bit of tiling in the...
Replies
Views
Dumbo
D
B
Evening all, My first post here so please be gentle with me!;) I'm redoing the kitchen and...
Replies
Views
B
Just been to price a job 4sq metres of kitchen splashback about 400mm above worktops and up to...
Replies
Views
D
This is a converted garage sized room. Two kitchen surfaces, each 3000mm long. And a Belfast...
Replies
Views
Sean SML Tiling
S
D
Hi Thanks to all who provided advice on my bathroom project 3 years ago, tiling both the...
Replies
Views
swanman
S

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB